Contributor
pbmazda32

New workshop, first time setting up dust collection.

Hello everyone, I'm done deploying overseas for a little while. I moved to fort benning and bought my first house this summer. I built a 12x24 workshop and put in 100 amp electric service. I got my tools out of storage and started getting them ready again. I have a craftsman shop vac that I've used for years for dust collection on my handheld tools and my router table. Well, my shop vac is dead. I started shopping for a new one and found a dust collector on Craig's list. It's a 3/4 HP portable unit with a 4in inlet. I plan to build a small separator or buying a rockler vortex separator. My question is, since it's such a small dust collector, should I run the 4in pipe to match collector or will 2.5in work since I already have alot of 2.5in stuff? I only plan on having one drop and the run will be approx. 20ft. I will flop the drop between my router table and tablesaw. I might hook it to my planer but that will be rare (and my planer is small). one other thing, since I'm gonna run it through a separator, the blower itself will blow straight outside, unfiltered. I got plenty of land so there's no one to bother with the dust. Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Paul
Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

Re: New workshop, first time setting up dust collection.

I personally would run 4". You're right though, that's a pretty small collector. Keep those runs as short and straight as possible.

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Contributor
pbmazda32

I took your advice. Bought enough 4 inch fittings and some pipe to set up one run. Built a seperator called a thein seperator I found on the net with a 30 gallon metal trash can. So far, the setup is working great. The thein seperator really works well. It's collecting all the chips and most of the fine dust. Only the faintest puff of dust is making its way outside to blow away. I was a little worried about building the seperator but I made a jig for circles, attached it to my plunge router base, and it looks as good as it works. I wish I knew how to post a picture here.
Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

To post a photo just click on the tree Icon located in the header directly above the area where you are typing your post. You may first need to resize your photos for posting. Here are some instructions on resizing.

All computers already have a photo manager of some sort installed in them.

Here are instructions for Micro soft. They should all be about the same.

1. If your photos are on your computer open the file.

2. Right click on one of the photos.

3. Scroll down to 'open with' and left click on your picture manager.

4. In the upper left hand corner of your screen under 'file' there is a small square with four smaller squares inside of it, left click on it.

5. Now left click on the first photo, while holding down your 'shift key' click on the last photo in the file.

6. With the pointer arrow on any one of the photos in the file, right click.

7. Left click on 'edit photos'.

8. Under 'picture size' left click on 'resize'.

9. Under 'predefined width x height' left click the down arrow.

10. Left click on 'web large'.

11. Under 'size setting summary' left click on 'OK'.

12. Left click on 'File' in upper left hand corner of your screen.

13. Left click 'save all'.

YOUR PHOTOS ARE NOW RESIZED.

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
Senior Contributor
Larry Doug

Congratulations on being home for awhile Paul. We here at the forum thank you for your services to our country. Wishing you well, and enjoy your new work shop.

Contributor
pbmazda32

I'm dragging up an old post, but I have an update and a new queastion. The thein seperator continues to workflawlessly. After a little trial and error, and wasting a couplebucks ordering the wrong parts in the mail, I mounted one of rocklers 4in clear hoses that stretch alot. I can now connect that hose to my tablesaw, router table, stationary sander,and my drill press without using any tools to switch tools.   

I would like to run a small drop over to my work bench to connect my smaller tools. I have two different bosch sanders andban benchtop bandsaw I would like to hook up. Both Bosch sanders have the same dust hookup, but the bandsaw has a 2in port. All three of those tools produce really fine dust so I'm not worried about large chips. What size tube should I run to the workbench? Also, what size hose should I use to connect to the tools, and should I install a blast gate and where should it go? 

Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

How far away is the work bench from the dust collector? The reason I ask is that, that is a pretty small collector to attach much duct work to. But if you must, the majority of your ducting should stay at 4". Once you are over to the bench, then gradually reduce down to the size needed. You never did

7.JPGmention what exactly the Bosch sanders were. Are they random orbit sanders? If so, I would just hook them up to a shop vac. Same goes for the bench top band saw.

Here is a photo of the duct work that I have for my sanders (oscillating, disk, belt, random orbit) and benchtop mortisor.

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
Contributor
pbmazda32

Yes, one sander is random orbit and the other is a 1/4 sheet finish sander. The bandsaw, I honestly don't know. I saved it from a junk pile, and spent forever getting it to work right. But now it does okay for what I need. 

I honestly hadn't thought of using a shop vac. Workbench is around 12 ft from the blower. 

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.