Veteran Reader
carl253

Move shop to basement of down town building?

I have a down town store building where the basement is unused.  It's a 23' x 80' area, has the old coal shoot from the sidewalk with the steel door.  An easy way to get lumber in and out.  It's all open, and looks to me to be a super spot for a wood shop. It's all underground, no windows and no real air circulation.  Would have to put in an air circulating system.

Any one been here before??   With a dehumidifier could I dry wood down there??

Thank You

Carl

Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

Re: Move shop to basement of down town building?

That will make a very nice sized shop.

You can dry wood any where as long as the atmosphere is dryer than the wood. A dehumidifier will speed up the process.

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Esteemed Advisor
fredhargis

That really sounds nice. Having a dehumidifier may be needed just to get the moisture down. Were you planning on having a room for drying?

"I long for the days when Coke was a cola, and a joint was a bad place to be" Merle Haggard
Veteran Reader
carl253

I'm just fishing in the dark. Thw wood shop has been in the old hog house along with the weld shop, the machine shop, the assembly area, and along with misc stotage of everything.    This is away from the farm and starting fresh.  Hopefully I can go for a half a day or more, work on a project, and let it set until I return.

So I am looking for some guidance on how to get started.  I moved in 2 jointers a 6" thickness planer a large stickerd stack of white oak.

As to plaining the white oak, this sat stickered outside after it was sawn for about a year. As I brought it in and restacked it I was amazed at how much "dirt" was on the rough sawn planks. I'm thinking thes is going to be like sand pappering my planer blades.  How do you get the rough sawn lumber clean??  Should I wire brush it, or wash it with water or blow it with air pressure??  Sems that lumber is usually stored outside to dry.  Am I the Lone Ranger?

Thank You

Carl

Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

[ Edited ]

I first vacuum and then blow off the remainder with the air hose.

The only reason that people air dry outside is that they don't have the space inside.

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Senior Contributor
Larry Doug

Rick is right on with cleaning the boards before planning. I made that mistake when I first started planning, dulled the blades fast.

Veteran Contributor
kplywood1

If I may be so bold. A suggestion that you meet with the Fire Inspector, or whomever locally. As a retired firefighter, it is a great idea to know any special requirements. It would be a plus if an emergency arose.

If your going to be a bear, be a Grizzly
Veteran Reader
carl253

What a coincidance, The Captain was down the other day, and may be a customer.  Good idea.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.