Senior Reader
really_2

Re: Dust collector piping

Interesting.   I had no idea that we have MM in piping in this country, but I guess that could be an issue.  Even trying to connect to the main piping coming out of the Grizzly 3hp cyclone "input" side is very difficult.  Strange.

I guess I will have to start designing piping that goes together as easily as "legos".   It just seems very odd to me that as long as piping has been around, there are no easy ways to make connections without a lot of sweat, tears and money.

Appreciate everyone's input.  I'll just keep plugging (crimping) away at it.

Thanks

Honored Advisor
stick48668

it's money...

a lot pipe is propriatary to it's own...

MM to SAE was an example hoping you would unstand what you are up against...

I don't really know if this hard fact but it's only an anology...

look to adaptors and bands to hook up to where you want to go...

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Contributor
GeorgeBjelovuk

i'll offer a spiral duct tip in return for a flex hose tip. I gave up using crimpers, smaller diameter plastic sleeves, etc. and finally broke down and bought REAL spiral duct fittings. They're a bit pricey, but work perfect (got mine from Wood Werks Supply). Now, I cut the pipe flush, and push it over the fitting, which has a little rubber gasket seal. It doesn't leak, but still comes apart, if required.

Now, here's my flex hose problem. every time I try to slide a piece of flex duct onto a spiral pipe, it turns into a wrestling match. I just have a real struggle slipping flex over spiral duct. Anyone have any ideas?

Honored Advisor
stick48668

[ Edited ]

you didn't say which type you have...

for plastic flex soak the fitting in hot water 1st

metal/plastic, unwind the hose....

for metal... slide it onto a crimped pipe end as far as you can get it to go to expand it to a larger dia...

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...

Stick....
Contributor
GeorgeBjelovuk

Tbe spiral duct is metal, and I've tried two types of flex - plastic with a wire spiral and plastic with a plastic spiral. I'm trying to slide the plastic flex spiral over the metal spiral duct, and then to my tools.
Honored Advisor
stick48668

IRL you need a take off...

Or what is referred to as a concentric reducer...

http://www.spiralmfg.com/prod.htm

spiral reinforced hose will expand if you twist it in a screwing motion...

Stick....
Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

I'm with Stick, warm it up first. You could also try a little WD40 on the pipe.

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.