Senior Reader
really_2

Dust collector piping

Well, I have finally installed my 3hp Gorilla cyclone dust collector and ready to do piping.  I picked up some spiral piping off of craigslist and am have a bear of a time trying to get the pieces to connect.   They are all 6" and include straight, 90's, 30's 60's and Y's , but all seem to be EXACTLY the same diameter and thus IMPOSSIBLE to connect to each other.   What am I missing to get these to connect?  Would really like to get some of this fixed piping in place of all my flex hose, but just having a really hard time.  Appreciate any insight.

Thanks

Honored Advisor
stick48668

Re: Dust collector piping

I believe you may be missing a pair of these..

http://www.industrialladder.com/productDetails.do;jsessionid=A0429C5446BBF77110B1A61EC70DDC10?produc...

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Senior Reader
really_2

The crimps would be nice, except I have spiral piping and that heavy metal and the spiral edge don't work.  I've tried the lighter gauge ductwork (like for a/c and heating), and it just collapses and won't hold up to a 3ph. Collector.   Any other ideas?

Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

[ Edited ]

really_2 wrote:

The crimps would be nice, except I have spiral piping and that heavy metal and the spiral edge don't work.  I've tried the lighter gauge ductwork (like for a/c and heating), and it just collapses and won't hold up to a 3ph. Collector.   Any other ideas?

I too use heavy gauge spiral piping and the crimpers work just fine (even on the seams). You will not have to crimp the entire circumference, three or four spots will usually be enough. Here too is a site that you may find usefull. I know that I did.

http://harderwoods.com/pipetemplate.php

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Honored Advisor
stick48668

the crimps will work just fine..

for fact...

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...

Stick....
Esteemed Advisor
fredhargis

Doesn't that stuff connect by butting it together and then affixing some kind of band clamp around the seam? Don't know...just asking.

"I long for the days when Coke was a cola, and a joint was a bad place to be" Merle Haggard
Honored Advisor
stick48668

fredhargis wrote:

Doesn't that stuff connect by butting it together and then affixing some kind of band clamp around the seam? Don't know...just asking.

yup..

offered plan "B" that works also...

Stick....
Frequent Contributor
Bill in Mich

your elbows and wyes should fit into your straight pipe,they make connectors when you have to join 2 pieces of straight pipe.About 3" long with a bead in the middle to prevent from going in to far.To join 2 els together you can crimp 1 end or cut a small section of pipe for a connector.

billinmich
Senior Reader
really_2

Well, I have purchased the crimpers and am still wrestling with getting the ends to connect.  Using a combination of spiral pipe and lighter thickness ductwork, some go together, but not an easy job.  Seems like there should be a much easier way to join pipe.   How come plumbers can make parts that go together easily and dust collector piping can't.   Go figure.

Guess I'll just keep working at it.  What a pain.

Honored Advisor
stick48668

in essence...

you are trying to mix millimeters and SAE...

Stick....

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.