Frequent Visitor
RADMW

Cut-off bin plans

I am looking for an idea or plan for a cut-off bin which allows for different sizes/and types of wood which yet is small enought for my 20x24 garage/workshop.  I know there is one or more out there but have not been able to find yet.  Help!

Veteran Advisor
Allen Worsham

Re: Cut-off bin plans

[ Edited ]

Welcome to the Wood Forums!

There are a lot of options out there including built-in and mobile depending on your needs. I have a 3 car garage (30'x20') and have to be able to park a car inside so pretty much everything is mobile. Here are a couple photos of the one I made which works great for my needs.

01-11-11_1956 small.JPG

01-11-11_1966 small.JPG

Allen Worsham, Corona, CA

allenworsham@gmail.com

"Graze in every man's field, but always give your own milk."

J.V. McGee
Honored Advisor
kmealy

Just a warning:   Don't ever get into making small boxes or about every cutoff looks like a great feature or secondary piece for a box.   Don't ask me how I know this.   I used to be able to throw cutoffs away.

Veteran Advisor
Allen Worsham

kmealy wrote:

Just a warning:   Don't ever get into making small boxes or about every cutoff looks like a great feature or secondary piece for a box.   Don't ask me how I know this.   I used to be able to throw cutoffs away.

Been there, done that.

This is what I tossed after I got done building my rolling scrap cart. I got a bit misty as I rolled the can to the curb for the trash truck to pick up, but I got over it the next day as I went to my lumber dealer and got more lumber so I could make more scraps.:smileytongue:

01-11-11_1967.JPG

Allen Worsham, Corona, CA

allenworsham@gmail.com

"Graze in every man's field, but always give your own milk."

J.V. McGee
Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

Take a look at the cut off bin in the photo.

Triple-Threat Storage for Lumber, Scraps, and Sheet Goods

You can find this storage trio in the WoodStore (link)

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Advisor
wadriscoll1

You'll find few good ideas HERE - Willy

Veteran Reader
marcv1

[ Edited ]

Allen

Would you hapopen to have a cutting diagram of the bin that you posted a picture for?

Or could you send me the dimensions. I'm hoping with a good cutting plan you could make it out of two sheets of ply or MDF.

Thanks,

-marc

Veteran Advisor
rfcomm2k

Gee Allen, based on the photo of the old wood bin I think you had a fine collection of firewood going there!

Click for rfcomm2k's, PA Forecast

"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" Ira Zolper, 1970
Advisor
DaveinOhio

Here's another possibility, with a few other ideas thrown in to boot: http://www.shopnotesspecials.com/smallshop/plans/pdf/10-plywood-projects.pdf

Dave

Veteran Contributor
paulelaine

Google:

shop notes wood cut off bin

Good size; complete plans; easily built.

The forum won't permit posting the PDF

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.