Frequent Contributor
salvagni1

Benchtop Drill Press Stand

I just recently bought my first benchtop drill press and want to make a stand for it. Does anyone know where I can find a plan to build a stand for my drill press?
Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

Re: Benchtop Drill Press Stand

Here is a link to basic cabinet construction.

http://www.totally-free-woodworking-plans.com/free-kitchen-cabinet-plans.html

Use 1/2" or 3/4" sheeting for your box and construction. I normally use 3/4" particle board for shop cabinets.

For a drill press, I would build the box 24" wide, 24" deep and 30" tall.

I would then buy 4 casters, two ridgid and two swivel casters. Personally, I don't think you would need locking casters because all of your pressure would be down and not side to side or back to front.

Depending  upon what casters that you choose, they will raise the top of your cabinet to a height somewhere between 34" to 38".

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Advisor
jandsjacobson99

I built something similar; it was just a small cabinet with three drawers in it.  It brought the height of the benchtop up to the same height as most floor models.  Just take the height of a floor model, subtract the height of your bench top, and that's your cabinet size.  The drawers are where I keep all of my drilling stuff: forstners, driving bits, etc.  Works great!

Cheerio!
Sam
Esteemed Advisor
hankm

Good advice so far, here is a link to images so you can visualize your project:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Benchtop+Drill+Press+Stand&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:smileysurprised:fficial&clie...

Don't ask advice on federal firearms law from people on the internet unless you like jail food.

- Beachside Hank, WOOD Online Video Host

Advisor
wadriscoll1

Here's A PLAN that you can look at - Willy

Senior Advisor
Jon439

No plans necessary. Just decide what you want, and do it. Mine was made many years ago from plywood. I had a bunch of those wooden "IN/OUT" boxes and sized the basic box stand to fit them as drawers.

Drill Press R.JPG

Jon-439

Do nudists play strip poker?

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.