Senior Contributor
CloseEnuff
Accepted Solution

Oak Acorn Removal

OK, this might sound odd, but is there a way to easily rid my yard of all the acorns dropping out of the Oak trees?  The lawn mower drives right over them.  And I'm not too amused about raking.  Just wondering if there's s special tool that rakes them efficiently.  The standard leaf rake doesn't work very well.

One of those trees is 11' in cirumference.  It quivers in fear every time I walk near it.  But it doesn't have to worry.  The shade is worth more than the wood. 

Pray For our Country and Leadership - which is currently non-existent

Esteemed Advisor
p_toad

Re: Oak Acorn Removal

see if you can rent some hogs for a couple of days. they love acorns.. :-)
Senior Contributor
Mathnerd

My brother in Connecticut told me that he removed 25 5-gallon buckets of acorns from his front lawn, and a week later he was inundated by them again.  He's also going nuts with them, because evidently they are a real bear to remove once they germinate and root.

Northridge, CA
1/3 of Americans can't add fractions; the other 3/4 can't subtract them.
Frequent Contributor
Wisconsin Bob

If you know of any deer bow hunters in the area, get in touch with them. Acorns are a favorite food of white tails (I had two in my yard today eating acorns). They may be interested in picking them up to use near a dear stand. 

Wisconsin Bob
Honored Advisor
stick48668

lawn vac....

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Senior Contributor
asavet

Got any Grandkids?  Pay them X amount per pound or bucket full to pick them up.

Roger Newby
Syracuse, Nebraska

Left handers are always in their right minds.
Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

[ Edited ]

Actually.... HERE is the solution.    Just roll the thing over the lawn, as it rolls the nuts force open the tines in the cage and they get trapped.   The inset photo shows how it gets emptied and there's even a video showing it in action.   Pecan growers use this.

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

Senior Contributor
CloseEnuff

All good suggestions.  I especially like the idea of using pigs.  Though, then what do you do with all the crap they deposit?  Grandkids?  Not yet.  Mine are 8 & 10 and they are Union, so I can't afford them.    Thanks Matt.  I'm getting one. 

Gary

Pray For our Country and Leadership - which is currently non-existent

Esteemed Advisor
p_toad

well, the pig doo is smelly (the worst) and you could use it for fertilizer, but you probably couldn't get anyone to clean that up either.  :smileyvery-happy:

Senior Contributor
Dan Gallo

Hey Matt, That thing is so cool! Makes me wish I had an oak tree!

Dan in So.Ca.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.