Veteran Contributor
kplywood1
Accepted Solution

Just forget 'bout it

What a GREAT COUNTRY in which we live. The computer at home goes paws up however, I am allowed to use the job computer. The screen reads: Disk boot failure. So again the computer person is needed.

If your going to be a bear, be a Grizzly
Esteemed Advisor
p_toad

Re: Just forget 'bout it

having been through 7 layers of he-double hocky-sticks with my daughter's computer and it's failing hardddrive(s) i can only tell you some basic things.  

following information is helpful.

brand of computer

age of computer

operating system on computer

drive brand (if known)

have you ever backed it up

have you tried to power it off and simply start again (might be boot sequence error)

if you get the error consistently, do you have a recovery partition or a real software install disc (cd-dvd)

have you (or anyone) messed with the BIOS

do you have anyone who can copy the contents of the drive to another harddrive

it is possible that only the boot loader section of the drive is bad / infected (some viruses do this)

do you use an anti-virus/firewall hardware / software on you computer

sorry for all the questions....but there are lots of possible causes (including just a failing harddrive) :smileysad:

Honored Advisor
ynoT

Sometimes the CPU will over-heat if the fan is bad, or case fan is bad.

It's good to check everything.

If not sure how, have someone who knows about computers do it for you.

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Senior Contributor
wayne h tinker

Not being a computer whiz, not even a computer anything, I, long ago discovered the only way for me to fix it is to pull all of the plugs, load it into the box it came in, load it into my car (or truck) and take a ride to my local computer guru. Most of the time, he has been able to help my by giving directions over the phone, but there are the times he cannot and my opening sentence is the only way.  A couple of times, my computer guy has given me a phone # to call for assistance.  At first, i made those calls and by the time i held for someone tto come to my aid, and that person handed me off to somebody else who turned out to know even less, my phone bill was astronomical and my computer required a complete overhaul from the opposing misdirectives I had received from long distance.

now, if my guru cannot help me via phone call, I just tell him to forget about the phone # he wants to give me.  it is cheaper and quicker to load the computer into my vehicle and spend the hour and a half roundtrip to deliver to him for fixing and the another hour and a half to pick it up and leave a check for payment.  If I cannot afford, i just spend extra time at doing those projects I can be better paid for.  I would rather be outside working in extreme heat or cold, snow or rain than driving myself crazy trying to figure out what is wrong with a computer that does not want to listen to anything i want to tell it.

Tinker

Senior Advisor
wirebender

Kris -

My old computer "flamed-out" last November.  I had to replace it.  Talk about user shock...I went from XP to Windows 7 (32-bit).  A lot of my favorite programs will not run...even in compatibility mode...they won't even load.  

One good thing about the "flame-out" was I discovered a device called Drive Wire...It allowed me to hook up my old harddrive and rescue ALL my files, so nothing was completely and forever lost.  I have found new programs to replace my old favorites.

Good luck.

Dave.

There's gotta be a better way
Esteemed Advisor
p_toad

Unfortunately, I don't think MS did anyone any favors with Vista and Win7.  To me it's much more difficult to use and find things that work with it and make it do things which were easily done in XP.  I quite often like to copy large amounts of text to notepad and often highlight it and do a right click send- to notepad (vs simply doing the CTL-C to copy and leave it and paste it elsewhere at some point later....i have to work on that text and don't want to open word (or wordpad)....  must be just me.  I finally figured out how to put notepad in send-to in Win7; something that took seconds in XP took a ridiculous amount of time to look up on the internet and then work with the "prettyfied" interface they just HAD to put in there.

/rant done

Honored Advisor
ynoT

p_toad wrote:

Unfortunately, I don't think MS did anyone any favors with Vista and Win7. 

/rant done

You are oh, so right, about Vista and 7.

When Vista came out it reminded me of time when MS came out with ME.

Just a quicky program to fill the time gap before XP was completed.

And XP proved to be the best MS had made in a very long time.

The most stable Windows version of all.

I'm still on XP and have no need moving up.

Some of my friends, after purchasing new computers, have erased the New Window and installed XP.

Yet, some with Windows 7 have enabled the virtual XP on their systems.

As for Notepad, the most used accessory, copy and paste is easy. Granted, there is no spell checker.

If I need something to be so accurate, I use Word than copy/ paste into Notepad so it can be posted here, for example.

Same for IE version 9. Lots of problems and most folks have removed that version from their system, including some of the MS VIP people. Those whom MS trust for Beta testing and feedback.

Learning about system, how to save and copy to disk vital info is important.

It's not all about turning it on and off.

Like a car, one needs to learn, at least, the basics.

An excellent place to go to and check is http://www.grc.com/intro.htm

Cheers,

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Veteran Contributor
kplywood1

It's an HP

6yrs

windows

no backup

no recovery disc

no changes to BIOS

If your going to be a bear, be a Grizzly
Esteemed Advisor
p_toad

[ Edited ]

HP six years ago was probably selling windows XP and knowing how much of the industry operates, you only have a recovery partition on the harddrive with your C drive (probably you've seen it as D or E where the other letter is your CD/DVD reader/writer).  Since it won't boot, your best bet is to take it to your nearest computer fixit place that you trust; have them take out the harddrive; insert a new harddrive; copy the recovery partition to your new harddrive; bring windows up to current levels (SP3 with all fixes); reinstall your anti-virus firewall software, re-install your browser(s) of choice (you get IE automatically, but that's probably 6....i would move up to 8); and once that's all done.....  copy your files off the old drive to the new drive...they should be readable if it's just a boot sector error and not a total harddrive failure.  done and done....sounds easy for a day of work.

If you've got other programs installed, you might want them to see if they can reinstall unless you want to do it.  if you only have things like project pictures and plans and things on your computer; you may want to purchase some DVDs and burn some to back up your project stuff. 

If it were me...and having gone thru all that just like that with my daughter's computer....i would do all that...and then make ANOTHER copy of the C drive as it is once recovered.  backup to the backup...a whole disk copy....but then i'm weird like that..    :smileyvery-happy:

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.