Veteran Reader
mark8141
Accepted Solution

Can someone identify the wood in this guitar?

[ Edited ]

Hey all,

Longtime lurker, first time poster, great informative site! A friend bought a used Les Paul guitar recently that was painted black and he decided to strip it and make it natural for a project to fool around with. Traditionally these guitars are made from mahogany, but they will do special runs of alder, walnut, whatever they have laying around the shop that day? So after stripping it he finds this;

[IMG]http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i188/straybeat/Stuff/lprefinish_zps7850d150.jpg[/IMG]

(If the image doesn't appear click refresh and it will show up)

We are all wondering what the heck it is and it has blown up into a huge argument amongst everybody. I was hoping somebody could end this silly fight?

Mark

Senior Contributor
clhyer345765

Re: Can someone identify the wood in this guitar?

I couldn't get the pic to come up...

Cal

Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

It appears to be poplar, a common guitar body wood.

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

Esteemed Advisor
smallpatch1

Looks like maple!!!!!!!!!

Esteemed Advisor
smallpatch1

Check the guitar kits Grizzly has and you will find a lot of the backs and sides are of a type of maple on the higher priced models. Sound boards and necks are usually of two different woods.

Esteemed Advisor
smallpatch1

This is some maple I am working with today.name plate 008.JPG

Veteran Advisor
Jon439

Don't forget that Les Paul guitars are electric, not accoustic guitars. They don't really have a sound board, but have a solid wood body.

I would have hesitated stripping the paint off, because if that was the way it was manufactured, he might have ruined the collectors value. I would have had it appraised first.

I agree with Maple, or even Birch for the wood.

Jon-439
Veteran Reader
mark8141

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the input everybody, but they don't make Les Paul backs out of maple, ever that I know of in 45 years, only the tops for a brighter tone. Which is why everyone is arguing over this. Which is what has us confungulated. 98% have mahogany backs unless it's a noted special run out of walnut, alder or something else? Although alder is usually only in the tops too? Except for Fender which uses it for Strats.

EDIT: Which is not to say it couldn't be maple. It's just unlikely is all and you guys are the experts, that's why I'm here, sooo... :smileywink:

Esteemed Advisor
Warped and Twisted

This is the picture in the link.

lprefinish_zps7850d150.jpg

Alaskans for Global Warming

Find more about Weather in Eagle River, AK
Click for weather forecast

"The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot.. it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better"
Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

With the serial number in hand an email to GIBSON should provide you with a little insight.

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.