Honored Advisor
-Paladin-

Salad Spoons by the gross

[ Edited ]

I was looking at my scrap bin the other day and decided that it was past due for a clean out. I remembered seeing a set of Salad Spoons our daughter and her husband received for Christmas.

First up was a plan and some templates;

IMG_5722.jpg

Next up is cut up some blanks, looks like I need a minimum of 1"T x 4"W X 7"L , sort of or at least close:smileyhappy: The only measurement that is important is it helps to have all the widths consistent, You will see the reason for this later.

IMG_5700.jpg

This is about 2/3 of the blanks, there is likely 6-8 different types of wood here.

Now to mark out the pattern; *Important*, make sure the blank extends a min. of 1/2" past the end of the handle. The one in the pic is a little short!!

IMG_5720.jpgIMG_5721.jpg

Next was to drill the 3/8th end holes for the one spoon that is actually going to be a fork...., the other isn't a spoon either, more like a spatula. So why did I call them spoons, go figure.....

The fence and register block are set up to drill the two outside holes, just drill one and flip over for the second, then reset the fence to drill the centre hole

IMG_5701.jpg

Now to the BS, set the fence to make the first cut on the outside finger, flip and cut the other side, reset fence and make the third and forth cut, reset the fence to make the fifth cut for the centre finger, flip and make the sixth cut.

IMG_5702.jpg

The next step is sort of optional, if you have a spindle sander you may want to wait until later to clean up the fork fingers.

Chuck a 3/8 straight or spiral bit in the RT, set the fence to clean up the outside fork, flip and do the other side, reset fence and do the centre.

IMG_5704.jpg

Fire up the BS, I used a 1/4" Skip tooth.

*Important* set the blank flat and cut both sides of the handle first but do not cut it all the way stop about 1/2 - 3/4" from the end

IMG_5707.jpg

Now turn on edge and cut away the waste.

IMG_5708.jpg

You are left with the following blank, now you can finish the handle cut and remove the rest of the waste.

IMG_5710.jpg

IMG_5711.jpg

Time to sand and Sand and SAND. There are a few options here, I found that I liked to use the fixed belt sander and the spindle sander to clean up the fingers and some detail work ( I always wondered what that 3/8th spindle was going to be used for). You could also turn a portable bench sander upside down and clamp it in a vise. Get creative!

The final shaping of these is really quite enjoyable.

IMG_5712.jpg

IMG_5713.jpg

IMG_5714.jpg

I have about 10 pair done and another 20 pair to go, this should fill up my wife's gift cabinet for awhile. They will be finished with cutting board oil, mineral oil.

IMG_5715.jpg

IMG_5716.jpg

IMG_5719.jpg

IMG_5718.jpg

Check "Spoons II" for the completion.

Have fun:smileyhappy:

~PALADIN~
Wood'nBoats&Stuff
Honored Advisor
krumy205747

Re: Salad Spoons by the gross

Nice project and nice step by step. Thanks!

Steve K

Where do I get my wood? I'm oppor"turn"istic!!
Senior Contributor
TexasWally

Nice, wonder how many people still know what a "gross" is.

Wally

My other hobby is napping. Fun and inexpensive!
Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

TexasWally wrote:

Nice, wonder how many people still know what a "gross" is.

Likewise 'gold' and 'platinum' status for album sales.  It's almost all passe' info these days.  (a gross is like a hundred million, right?  :smileywink:  )

NICE job, Kent.   VERY cool process!!

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

Veteran Contributor
weighn

great project. has given me some much needed ideas. really like all the step by step photos. thanks.

weighn
Esteemed Advisor
hankm

[ Edited ]

MSWOODcraft wrote:

Matt, your opinion please, since we both suck- err, I mean vacuum press, would it enhance the penetration of mineral oil to put these in a bag or jar and draw down so as to eliminate capillary air and allow the deep cellular introduction of M.O. upon slow release?

A successful journey has two parts; facing the right direction, and taking the first step.

- Beachside Hank, WOOD Online Video Host

Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

Excellant project and an even better way to burn up some scraps.

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

hankm wrote:

MSWOODcraft wrote:

Matt, your opinion please, since we both suck- err, I mean vacuum press, would it enhance the penetration of mineral oil to put these in a bag or jar and draw down so as to eliminate capillary air and allow the deep cellular introduction of M.O. upon slow release?

Interesting posit, Hank.   I really don't know.   I suspect that by putting in the press you'd be pulling both air and oil out throught the hose more than into the piece.   Upon air reintroduction.... I don't think there'd be enough oil left on the surface to be useful.  It'd have been sucked out of the bag.     But that's only a suspicion based on using my mind's eye and envisioning the air (and anything else in the bag) flow.

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

Esteemed Advisor
hankm

Yeah, a bag is probably the wrong device to use, I'm thinking bell jar, like what the old science teacher used to use in school to show that no air = no bell ring. Gotta put that one on the list, project# 867.

A successful journey has two parts; facing the right direction, and taking the first step.

- Beachside Hank, WOOD Online Video Host

Esteemed Advisor
john880

Paladin,

Reminds me of assembly line for making little cars for charily. Oh, by the way, you are keeping those pieces of scrap, for future projects, arn'cha.

Thanks for the, "follow along". I repeat, Man I sure like these.

TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.