Esteemed Advisor
john880

Pin Router with an example,,,

[ Edited ]

Here is my adaption of a Pin Router.

From others I could find on they web, they decited to make a flat base and clamp theirs to their table tops. I realized in my case, I already had the taller Incra's metal fence as a sturdy base, so I made an adapter to slide & fasten to their fence. Which allows an adjustment of the pin's movement & alignment centering over the bit,   forward & back & right to left. Then drilling the vertical holes in its base using a pin/holder lock in the up & down movement. I had some 6/4 cedar scrap I cut down for wedge/s to hold tight & holes for height adjustments, & pin holder. With Baltic Burch ply for it's arms., and a piece of MDF for its main supportTpin router1.JPGpin router2.JPGorting base. I can build & adapt a sturdy portable base, as others have done, using all of these parts if I need more portability in the future.

The basic alignment between pin and to Router,,,is to raise the router high enough to lock the pin into its collet. Then adjust/tighten the arm aragements to lock it all into this routers.collet setting. Un lock the collet lower router, Walla its centered above any bit you choise.

In choising my Incra's fence as its base I can note the fine built in adjustment setting on Incra's fence's arm ruller setting. Un-lock the fence, slideing the fence back, change bit/s, then slide the fence back forward to the fence's predetermined setting, re-lock the fence. Now it set again and procede.

TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.

Honored Advisor
krumy205747

Re: Pin Router

Looks like a nice, well thought out set up. I'm fortunate in that I picked up a shopsmith pin router for cheap a few years back. It's not a tool I use frequently but it's really nice to have sometimes.

Steve K

Where do I get my wood? I'm oppor"turn"istic!!
Esteemed Advisor
smallpatch1

John is this what you will use to make signs. You have my curious up...

Esteemed Advisor
john880

[ Edited ]

Top of the day to yea smallpatch,

Yelp,,,,It is a way of using patterns, only on the back side of your project. For the rise & fall of cutting into a surface of a wood project with a high degree of accuracy on a router table. Similar, vision any cuped out surface such as wooden plack.

Fasten your envisioned pattern to the front side of your wood, would require adding a bearing on any of the bits that you would have to pick to do that job intended, and it ,and the bit set at a height, to allow the difference from the wood surface to follow the pattern & also to allow clearance. Using this form from the back, with the bit pre set to its depth of cut below, you guide the pin from above, eliminating all of that adjustment with all of those bearing bits sizes. Forcing that bit that lies directly below your wood piece, to follow that pin above guided in your pattern, and to the operator delight ,grain thickness & their patterns, does not detour that bits from its path that you choice. Guitar makers, home & factory made, use these for all kinds of the instruments parts.

Thus it very importation to have that pin the same size as you bit below, to assure you, looking kind'd blind trusting from above, that where that pin's OD edge is following, also, so is that bits edge is too. Also when making such a jig, be very sure (!!!) every thing is squared & extra robust & tight jointed. You will be placing a strain against that pin & all of its its attached structured paraphernalia as a guide. The bigger commercial ones are made of stout steel as Steve's is, and also the very poplar small shop MLCS's ~ Daisy Pin Router.

I have had an ocasion to have/use one & at the same time interest for making or buying one of these for some time in my past, and was thoroughly *   * when I missed MLCS big discount Christmas sale on their tried & true best selling Daisy model. ( look over at their video), Started to thinking, due to the needing it a right now kind'a thing, naturally, and the vision of my idea started to come together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNAk3RQZr3E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIidy4IsnD8&feature=relmfu

Now picture below making your own tray patterns with out having to buy these specially bits. Not that theses kits are not exclient mind you, they are !!,  but if'n you already had the bits design on hand, but with out those bearings, and your pin router,,,,well,,just arnt router & router tables great !!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cKEEpshvwE&feature=related

Thanks for asking smallpatch, maybe this will tweak someone elses memory when they come across its need, "Hey I remember reading about that solution, back there at Wood's site."  

YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.

Esteemed Advisor
john880

Re: Pin Router with an example,,,

Smallpatch and all so interested in my post on this pin router, Lets say you would want to run a 60 degree grove a set distance in from the edge & following the cut 1/4 circles at the ends of this board. I ask this here and got some interesting and helpful ideas, none that i tried meant my needs. So the pin router, and making this template. Picture below.

Determine how high (deep) you want the bit to cut, by a test piece. Mark setting & turn off router & lower.
Simply  trace the whole outline of the  shape board on to this piece of 1/16" thick cardboard. Draw a set of referances marks.
Then figuring out the width needed you would want as a border on the inside edges of this outline. Keeping in mind the width of your bits finished cut. 
Draw your pattern as such & cut to size the cardboard, I used an E-xacto knife to cut the corners in several passes & a pair of scissors for the straight cuts.
Double tape this pattern centered on to the back side of the board.
Set board face down onto router table.
Lower the pin onto the top of the board, seating it against the patterns edge.
Start router then crank up the router to it predetermined height/depth of cut, from your test  piece 
Careful follow the pattern, the bit below will do the rest.

Esteemed Advisor
john880

board1.JPG

Esteemed Advisor
john880

board2.JPG

Esteemed Advisor
john880

board3.JPG

Esteemed Advisor
john880

board4.JPG

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.