Esteemed Advisor
krumy205747

Make your own dowels...to good not to share

First of all, this is not my idea but the results I got are so good I wanted to pass it on. I was searching to buy a dowel maker when I stumbled onto a link to make your own. It's on the  Highland Hardware  website. Takes a few minutes to make and a few minutes to set up but it's pretty amazing how well it works

IMG_0876-1.JPG

IMG_0878-1.JPG

IMG_0882-1.JPG

First cut and I was trying to make 1/2" dowel, a couple of taps with "fine adjustment tool" and I'll have it. Hats off to the guy who came up with this idea!

Steve K

Where do I get my wood? I'm oppor"turn"istic!!
Veteran Advisor
brianalt

Re: Make your own dowels...to good not to share

Steve, I used that jig for making dowels too, but a couple years ago I found an article on the internet on to make dowels on the table saw. As you can see from the pictures below, the jigs are basically designed around the same idea. Between the two, I prefer the table saw jig.

TablesawDowelJig1.jpg

TablesawDowelJig2.jpg

TablesawDowelJig3.jpg

One trick I use now for turning the dowels in the jig is to attach a socket head to my old Milwaukee drill. Makes quick work of the dowels and the sawdust really flies. :smileywink:

TablesawDowelJig4.jpg

I have tried several different blades in the table saw for this jig and the one that worked the best for me was a triple chip grind blade.

Esteemed Advisor
krumy205747

Well, alrighty then!! I'll give that one a try too, I can see right away how it could give a smoother cut. Thanks!!

Steve K

Where do I get my wood? I'm oppor"turn"istic!!
Senior Advisor
Woodburner

That is quite unique. Both appear to work but I also thing the table saw one would be much quicker.

I use my lathes which also work real nice.

LEO
Forums Host
Esteemed Advisor
hankm

And if you're just looking to make a few dowel pins:

http://woodtube.ning.com/video/simple-woodworking-methods-1

CNTG3 006.jpg

WOOD Online has a very respectable library of videos for your education and enjoyment in the pursuit of learning more about the craft of woodworking.

There are two channels you can look at for specific subjects:

The first is WOODCuts.
http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodvision/
This is the site to go for “house” videos that WOOD magazine has produced for its site visitors. Although these may have commercials in them, and thus have a bit of a loading wait, they are still solid blocks of good to know information professionally shot and edited, with clear and concise demonstrations.

The second resource for videos is WOODTube.
http://woodtube.ning.com/
These are user submitted videos usually shot by woodworkers who wish to visually share tips, tricks, and techniques they feel are worth passing on. This site has a search engine so you can get more specific in your need to know area.

Politicians like to panic. It's their substitute for achievement. - Sir Humphrey Appleby

- Beachside Hank, WOOD Online Video Host

Veteran Advisor
georgenoeth1

I use a roundover bit on the router table.  No jig needed just leave both ends square, four passes and you are done.

George Noeth (Gadget Guy)
Wood Online forum Host
Frequent Contributor
kwhit1902111

When I need doweling that I don't have in stock. I cut 2" long rectangle shaped blocks of wood. the type I need for the project. Then I drill a holw that size in my small welding table top. It's a 1/2" thick steel plate. Then I hammer a square rod through a round hole. That's how I make short dowels.

Senior Advisor
smallpatch1

Man oh man I will admit you guys have put lots of thought into your roundy things but as I understand it I was only given a certain amount of thoughts in my life time and thank you I believe I will do my thinking on more important things than a two bit dowel.

At any minute you guys might get   Al Heimers     then don't you wished you had saved some of that thinking for later. If I  understand it right the more you save your brain now, the more you put Al Heimer on the back burner. 

Or at least this is the only stratagy that seems to work against Honey Du. 

Veteran Advisor
brianalt

smallpatch1 wrote:

Man oh man I will admit you guys have put lots of thought into your roundy things but as I understand it I was only given a certain amount of thoughts in my life time and thank you I believe I will do my thinking on more important things than a two bit dowel.

At any minute you guys might get   Al Heimers     then don't you wished you had saved some of that thinking for later. If I  understand it right the more you save your brain now, the more you put Al Heimer on the back burner. 

Or at least this is the only stratagy that seems to work against Honey Du. 

Hey, you can't always go to the big box store and get the right dowel you need in the correct wood species so coming up with a solution to make my own was worth burning up a couple of brain cells. 

And anyway, they claim that it's better to keep your brain active with constant use to ward off brain atrophy. 

:smileywink:

lacy822

these are great spare time projects and i love to learn and work with my wood tools.

Have a great day!

Ron, Florida

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.