Apprentice Visitor
dctulsa39

Glue Expiration Dates

A few years ago, Wood Magazine had an article about Glue Expiration Dates which I have used everytime I purchase Glue.  Yesterday, I was in a store and looked at the Titebond Glues.  The 6 digit expiration date which started with a number (Year) and then a letter (Month) was replaced new longer digit number which began with a letter.  I did not count the number of digits, but guess there were 8 to 10.  Does anyone know how to interpret this new number to get the expiration date?

Thank you, Dean

Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

Re: Glue Expiration Dates

Copied from another forum site:

The first digit represents A for America (made in), the second digit is the last digit of the year of manufacture, the third and fourth digits

represent the month, the fifth and sixth digits represent the day of the month and the last four digits represent the lot number.

Example:

A904270023 – This material was manufactured on April 27, 2009"

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Esteemed Advisor
hankm

Way back when before they used to date stamp glues, we would check the plastic container's manufacturing date stamp, figuring it was within a month or so of that date.

Politicians like to panic. It's their substitute for achievement. - Sir Humphrey Appleby

- Beachside Hank, WOOD Online Video Host

Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

Here is a link to the original Wood Magazine question and answer.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/materials-guide/adhesives/cracking-the-glue-code/

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Apprentice Visitor
dctulsa39

To: Rick Mathison

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question about  the "Glue Expiration Dates".

Dean

Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

[ Edited ]

This topic comes up so often that I've now moved it to the Info Sharing board and floated it to the top.   It's the easiest way to keep tabs on it and refer to it in the future.

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

Senior Contributor
dbgessner

Glues, like polyurethanes, have an enemy .... oxygen.  Introduced into their environment, their life shortens.  Factor in temperature extremes (especially stay away from freezing temps), contaminants, and the number of times they get opened too.

This is mentioned because the expiration date is not the "be all and end all" of glue performance.

David

Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

[ Edited ]

They're not 'expiration dates', but rather 'manufacture dates'.   

It's up to you to determine when time is 'time' (although we've talked about a year being about the outer limits in a lot of cases).  

Being able to decipher the manufacture date gives you a leg up in being able to make the call.

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

Esteemed Advisor
-Paladin-

I keep my glue in the Wine Cellar attached to the shop. I feel comfortable with 2 years from date of mnft. for yellow glues stored this way.

~PALADIN~
Wood'nBoats&Stuff
Senior Contributor
Larry Doug

-Paladin- wrote:

I keep my glue in the Wine Cellar attached to the shop. I feel comfortable with 2 years from date of mnft. for yellow glues stored this way.

But just remember that sniffing glue and drinking wine is a no-no. :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.