Contributor
sgilroy

quick method to glue pvc...not for plumbing

What would be a good, inexpensive adhesive to bond pvs pipes?  it's not for plumbing, so i don't want to go through the hassle of the cleaner and adhesive typically used for pvc.  I made some low-rise hurdles for my kids to work on speed and agility for their various sports.  They'll be used outdoors so i need something that will still hold together in the heat.  moisture won't really be an issue since they would be using them in the rain.

QUICK and CHEAP is what I'm hoping for.

Thanks for the help.

Scott

Veteran Advisor
GeorgeK-NJ

Re: quick method to glue pvc...not for plumbing

I made a bike rack, that I just dry fit everything.  They were snug enough not to come apart until I wanted them to.  I'd try that.

George K
Aberdeen, NJ

"I keep cutting and it's still to short"

"Stupid is Expensive"

Advisor
Rrandy

A little dab of most any glue or caulk ought to hold it. For takedown you could fit everything and drill a hole and use a pin of some sort or make your own out of an old wire coat hangar.

Never do anything you don't want to explain to the EMT.

Senior Advisor
firejohn

[ Edited ]

Use Oatey #30863 Heavy Duty Clear PVC Cement.  $6.31 for an 8 oz. can.  Does not require cleaner/primer.  I use it for non-plumbing work, like the balance beam I made for the wife to exercise with.  Or the ladder golf game I fabricated.  Some of parts of that are glued, some just press fit so I can store it in a bag.

Honored Advisor
stick48668

sheet metal screw...

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Veteran Contributor
Herg1

If you want to find an adhesive that will work outdoors you can Google --- E6000 or E6800 to find a sales outlet close to you.   It is similar to RTV, that is it is a gel type adhesive but has better holding qualities than RTV.   A 3.75 ounce tube will usually cost between $5 & $6.   It will work on most all surfaces yet you can take things apart if need be.   I have 2 fiberglass house number signs I placed on both of the raised sides of my driveway about 15 years ago and they are still firmly fastened.

Veteran Advisor
Allen Worsham

[ Edited ]

Pick up a can of PVC adhesive at your local Home Depot, Lowes, Hardware store, etc. for less than $5. You don't need primer but all you would have to do is put a couple of dabs of the adhesive on the inside of the male side of the joint and slide them together and it will hold just fine. If you need to break down the pieces for storage or transport, then just dry fitting them would work or use some 1/2" panhead screws or similar. I have made a number of things for the kid's soccer teams, youth group at church and for my wife's special ed class of Autistic kids over the years. PVC is quick and easy and cheap.

One of the things that I make regularly for my wife's Autistic kids are what she calls "scream tubes". I use as short piece of 1" PVC and two 90 degree elbows and make what looks like a telephone handset that you put up to your ear and mouth to speak into. Many Autistic kids scream to communicate or to stimulate their senses. When they do you put this scream tube up to their mouth and ear so they can hear it externally as opposed to just internally. Loud external noises bother them, so it helps them to stop screaming (strange but true). I make them up for her classroom use as well as for her to give out to her parents. I just put a dab of adhesive on the PVC so it doesn't drip out when put together and there you go. Quick, cheap and easy and very practical.

Allen Worsham, Corona, CA

allenworsham@earthlink.net

"Graze in every man's field, but always give your own milk."

J.V. McGee
Contributor
rolyb

[ Edited ]

A 4 oz. can of PVC cement at Lowes is $2.56.     Roly

Senior Contributor
Mr-Ron

sgilroy wrote:

i don't want to go through the hassle of the cleaner and adhesive typically used for pvc.  

The time spent posting this message and posting replies is more of a hassle than using PVC cement.

Mr. Ron, So. Mississippi. Smarter than the average bear.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.