Senior Contributor
mjpaulin6792

looking for input on a workshop remodel

It's time to remodel the shop....actually it needs to be finished as it's an old carrige house.

I need to replace the windows, doors, & roof...something I'm not looking forward to. Then it's on to the inside...electrical, insulation & finishing. does anyone have any reccomendations as far as covering the inside of the walls? Plywood, paneling, sheetrock? Also...what would you use for heat? Right now I use a torpedo heater & a woodburning stove but I want to change to something safer & cheap to run as I want to keep it warm all the time. I'm toying with the idea of solar...any thoughts on this? Any input would be helpful.

Michael
Sheboygan, WI

Measure once cut twice!
Advisor
tomsteve1967

Re: looking for input on a workshop remodel

cool beans that yer able to do this. i would suggest t&g plywood. i had a shop i used regular b.c. sanded, not t&g 3/4". developed some whoopdeedoos as the moisture and heat levels changed. with the t&g in my new shop, i dont have that problem and i can hang anything anywhere. gloss white paint makes it brighter and the dust doesnt stick to the walls so much.

dont know exactly how big yer shop is or where you live, but i have a 26 by 38 shop/garage and heat it with wood. i buy slabwood very cheap and it heats it nicely. i have a Jet air filter on the ceiling and have the outlet end pointed down a bit. this really helps get the heat circulated, and does its primary job excellent.

no matter what i build or how many times i build it, it's all practice.
Senior Contributor
mjpaulin6792

Good point...the shop is about 20'x30' or about 600 sq. ft.

I heat with wood now & I do like it but it does take quite awhile to warm up the building when it gets down around zero like it is now. Hopefully that will be better once it's insulated with new windows.

Heres a few pictures so you can see the challenges I have ahead.IMG_2000.JPGIMG_2001.JPG

IMG_2004.JPGIMG_2003.JPG

Michael
Sheboygan, WI

Measure once cut twice!
Advisor
tomsteve1967

looks like the big challenge willbe movin everything thats in there!!!lol. that wood stove ya got should keep that place prety warm when insulated properly. one thing to remember is that when the shop gets down to the outside temperature( like 0), so does everything in it, like all the metal surfaces on power tools, the slab, even the wood. all the stuff in there is actually heat sinks. they will adjust temp to the air surrounding it all. once ya get the shop up to temp and everything in the shop has adjusted to the temp, it'll be pretty easy to keep it warm. i fill my wood stove in the a.m. and in the p.m. and the temp doesnt get below about 50. it's pretty quick to warm up the shop when i' m out there.

looks like yer gonna have a lot of natural light and upstairs storage. i sure hope ya dont hide them pretty beams in there.

Advisor
jandsjacobson99

Boy, that looks like a nice shop!  I'm a bit envyous!  If'n it were me, I'd start by taking some serious considerations of the electrical situation.  I would run as much electrical as I could imagine I'd ever need, and then run some more.  It's much easier to do it now than after you have your walls and ceiling enclosed and insulated.  After (and only after) you're quite sure you've overdone your electrical (and then done some more), I'd sheet the walls with something wood, not drywall.  I screwed osb onto mine to save money; t&g ply would be better.  Depends on how much you want to spend.  Course, you'll put faced insulation in there before you sheet it.  Sheet the ceiling with wood as well; it makes it easy to hang stuff and you won't put the corner of a piece of ply through it. 

One thing to consider is putting cardboard baffles in before you sheet the ceiling.  They are cheap and keep you from plugging up your attic airflow with insulation.  Unless of course you're planning on insulating the attic as well, then you have a different challenge on your hands. 

For a heat source, it's hard to beat a good ol electric shop heater.  The fahrenheit gets good reviews and ought to heat that space pretty well for about $250.  Course the actual heating costs more. 

Let us know what you decide and if you have more questions.

Sam

Cheerio!
Sam
Veteran Advisor
Sawdustr

My Woodworking shopGood Morning Fellows,

Here is my shop; The walls have R24 in them and R42 over head as I used 12" clear span web beams for floor joists and with the two layers of 6" batten insulation and tuff R instead of drywall which reflects the light and heat back down on the balance of the shop. The second story is not heated. I use an electric forced air heater and even at 0º outside it keeps the shop a comfortable 60º. The cost to head 24/7 365 is only about $25.00 to $35.00 per month in electric use.

I have windows that are set in the walls close to the top of the east and west side only and continuous 8' lights in a series hook up 4' in on both sides from the walls as well as some clip on lights in strategic locations around the band saw and drill press. However, I have most everything on casters so I can pull them to a location where I'll have plenty of light and then return them to their storage area when not in use.

Remember to keep your hands no closer to a spinning blade or bit than 6" for safety sake.

Respectfully,

Ralph Jones General Forums Host

http://www.ralphjoneswoodworking.com
Senior Contributor
mjpaulin6792

I "aquired" this as my shop about 3 years ago when we added a 2.5 car garage to our house & was able to move alot of stuff in there. (including my wifes car) It took me 3 weekends and many truckloads to empty it out and get the attic empty as well from over 100 years of junk that was left behind from the previous owner.

Electrical is defeintely at the top of the list. I started yesterday by rewiring the lights. Now I can hit the switch as soon as I walk through the door and not have to stumble accross the shop in the dark to get to the switch on the back wall. (I'll never understand why someone wired it that way) Next is outlets. I'll have plenty around the perimeter of the shop and am considering some in the ceiling as well. You can never have too many outlets.

General shop lighting is from 4 8' flourescents with cold weather ballasts...recycled from an old sign. I'll have to add task lighting later when I know where all of the tools will be perminantly located.

I'm not planning to cover the beams...they will stay exposed but I'm not sure if I'm going to sand them down & seal them or just leave them the way they are right now. The only other thing I'm salvaging from the original shop is the workbench top. It's 2 slabs (I'm thinking it's maple) that are 16" wide x 2.5" thick x 11' long. I don't know where I'm going to use them yet but I will definitely find a use for them somewhere. 

Michael
Sheboygan, WI

Measure once cut twice!
Advisor
tomsteve1967

takin a closer look at the pics i am wonderin iffen ya might wanna put up a vapor barrier between the insulation and wallcovering. i noticed it looks like i can see the back side of the siding. gonna be an awesome shop when yer done.

Visitor
m.mcowanjr

While you are redoing the electric for your shop , in addition to 110 outlets put in a couple of 220s to take care of some of the heavy duty stuff you have, or will have.
Frequent Contributor
tod.jervey

When I insulated my attached garage, I used 8x4 sheets of pegboard instead of drywall on the unfinished portions. It worked well and takes paint nicely.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.