Apprentice Member
tomthebuilder

closing in carport, need suggestion for bottom plate

Hey to every one out there. I'm closing in my carport.  It is on a concrete slab.  I know I shouldn't put my bottom plate directly on the concrete because water will seep into the enclosed room.  What should I do?Should I build up a 4" rise of cement or is there something else I could lay down first that would keep water out of the room"  As usual, any suggestions and comments would be greatly appreciated

Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

Re: closing in carport, need suggestion for bottom plate

I enclosed some carports once at an apartment complex and the architect called for a rubber strip between the asphalt and the bottom plate. It worked well as far as I know. No one ever called me with a complaint. I would also use a sealant of some sort to lay the strip in. I'm sure you'll get some other responsed with the usual good ideas that come from this forum. Welcome to the forum.

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"
Advisor
whitedogstr8leg

When I workrd on the commercial buildings for a few years, we always put down a double bead of a black caulking called "Valcum" (sp).    This was a seal between the concrete and a steel channel for the steel siding to be screwed to.   This "stuff" seemed to be of an asphaltic type of caulking.   You might check with the metal roofing guys to see what they have.    If you do decide on a "curb", mortar in some 4" thick by 8" deep by 16" long "blocks ( I forget the "real" name for these) and then add the sill plate on top.

smarter than a doorknob, meaner than concrete

"KNIFASIGNIKEHT"
Advisor
tomsteve1967

how about a row of block?

no matter what i build or how many times i build it, it's all practice.
Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

whitedogstr8leg wrote:

When I workrd on the commercial buildings for a few years, we always put down a double bead of a black caulking called "Valcum" (sp).    This was a seal between the concrete and a steel channel for the steel siding to be screwed to.   This "stuff" seemed to be of an asphaltic type of caulking.   You might check with the metal roofing guys to see what they have.    If you do decide on a "curb", mortar in some 4" thick by 8" deep by 16" long "blocks ( I forget the "real" name for these) and then add the sill plate on top.

Whitedog, are you thinking "plinth"?

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"
Honored Advisor
amateur60

[ Edited ]

A row of block, to elevate the sill plate is a good idea.  You also want to be able to have anchor bolts to hold the plate down.  Between concrete and the sill you want a sill seal, which is typically a roll of a plastic foam material that acts to block water transfer, and also seasl small irregularities between plate and concrete.  Of course, you want the plate to be pressure treated. 

If your slab has just been laid over a bit of gravel or sand, without insulation or in particular a good moisture barrier, you may need to lay a floor over it that encorporates the moisture barrier.   Also remember that it is likely that the slab will be pitched to allow drainage. 

You mention this as being an "enclosed room".   If this is to be an interior living space, you need to eliminate the slope, get some more insulation under the final floor, and if at all possible, vary carefully ensure that the finished floor elevation exactly matches that of the adjoining space.  If you can do this it will make it real usable space, rather than being permanently marked as "an addition".  This isn't so important if you are just making it into a "three season" room or the like. 

Contributor
rsoriano1743236

If you pour concrete make sure you vibrate.  My house has an enclosed carport and had leaks.  Come to find out they were nermerous voids throughout the rise.   Ended up putting a rubber membrane and creating a french drain.

Rob

Advisor
whitedogstr8leg

Those blocks are the ones you'd use over doorways.   Just a "face block" that fits into the "space" of a full block, so one can mortar them into a steel lintel.   By laying them down like a "paver" as it where, you would still have plenty a room for framing the walls.   With "full" blocks, you should fill all the "voids" in the blocks, or add a foam block sealer that fits into the cores.   With the "half-blocks" there isn't an "issue" with weight on that slab.  Also with the half block wall, you can just drill and install "Red-head" anchor bolts through the plates and into the block.  Now, IF you want to "dress up" this new foundation,  add some bricks to wrap around the outside of the foundation.   Just a thought.

smarter than a doorknob, meaner than concrete

"KNIFASIGNIKEHT"
Veteran Advisor
grandpabear

have you run this past your local building and safety department?? you may be undoing it.

Whittier CA
THE MOST DANGEROUS TOOL IS THE ONE YOU ARE USING
Apprentice Member
tomthebuilder

Guys, as usual you came up with a lot of great suggestions and ideas.  Thanks!

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.