Contributor
sgilroy

better way to remove dirt from deep post holes without post hole digger??

anyone have a good method for removing dirt from the bottom of a 42" deep post hole, about 12" wide.  The holes were done with an auger but the rental store did not have one quite long enough, so i am digging  deeper with a digging pole to loosen the dirt (and many rocks).  Problem is shoulder issues make using the post hole digger a nightmare.  

anyone have a good alternative?  some sort of scoop-type devise seems like it would work well?????

thanks,

Scott

Senior Advisor
firejohn

Re: better way to remove dirt from deep post holes without post hole digger??

[ Edited ]

When I dug the holes for a deck, years ago, I used a hand auger that looked like the two clamshell blades of a post hole digger.  It didn't go as deep as I wanted, so I added a 12" section of black pipe to it and got the holes 54" deep.  But the holes were only about 6" in diameter.  Then I used the regular digger to get the loose dirt out. Still have it hanging in the garage attic.

Honored Advisor
stick48668

dig as deep as conviently east with an auger or post hole digger...

need to go deeper???

spud or johnson bar to loosen and a shop vac to remove the loose spoil...

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Contributor
rolyb

You can also lift out the dirt with a hoe.     Roly

Contributor
LyndenL

Senior Contributor
Snailman

I helped a friend put a deck up once with the same scenario, except it was mostly sand, and a clamshell digger didn't to the job.  He had a military folding shovel (e-tool he called it).  Locked the blade 90 degrees to the handle, and I was able to reach the bottom to scoop it out.  (guess I have long arms :smileysurprised:)

Safety is important. As I tell my kids: I was born with 10 and I intend to die with 10.
Veteran Advisor
grandpabear

spud bar, johson bar or digging bar will give you a workout and you know how i know.

Whittier CA
THE MOST DANGEROUS TOOL IS THE ONE YOU ARE USING
Advisor
2Chessies

I don't know if you can find one at a farm store anymore or not but there is such a thing as a post hole shovel.May not be the right name for it but it looks very similar to the tool in the previously posted pic.A friend has one we used to dig storm drain trenches with.He called it a sewer shovel,said it used to be used by plumbers to dig deeper trenches for septic laterals.

Senior Advisor
wirebender

[ Edited ]

Scott -

Linemen used to use banjo spades and spoons to dig holes for poles...I googled, but could not find any hits...they came in a (2) spade set, the banjo was a straight spade with a long handle, the spoon was a bent spade also with a long handle.  I used to dig holes for the base of TV antenna (50 years ago, before cable and satellite systems) using these tools.

I did find this...masterspoons[1].gif  and this shovels2[1].gif

These are OshKosh spades...the handles are 10' long

Dave.

There's gotta be a better way
Advisor
PeteM

I vote with Stick:  shop vac.  In fact if the soil is loose enough, you can dig with the shop vac.  Makes for a much neater hole.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.