Senior Reader
watsunrock

What is the best mix ratio for stucco?

I  am in the process of building a shop/storage building and currently have it underpinned with 3/4 inch treated plywood which I want to cover with stucco....Would like to do stone but cannot afford it.  Tyvek moisture barrier and metal lathing are already in place.

I would appreciate some advice on a good stucco mix.

Veteran Advisor
Sawdustr

Re: What is the best mix ratio for stucco?

Good Morning watsunrock,

If you are using cement and sand it usually takes 14 shovels of sand to one bag of cement. However I like to use Sakrete mortar mix and mix one batch at a time and I usually add one shovel of cement to the batch for added strength and by doing that I am not in a hurry to get it applied before it starts to set up.

Remember to keep your hands no closer to a spinning blade or bit than 6" for safety sake.

Respectfully,

Ralph Jones General Forums Host

http://www.ralphjoneswoodworking.com
Advisor
whitedogstr8leg

Stucco is just a mix of sand, Portland Cement, and JUST ENOUGH water to make it "workable".    You can use Ralph's "mix" or any other "schedule" like making a "rich" mortar.  You add just enough water to get to a "peanut butter" like mix.   You want it "dry" enough to stay in place when applied, and not so "wet" it sags back off.   It's about like plastering, but using a cement-based "plaster" instead. 

smarter than a doorknob, meaner than concrete

"KNIFASIGNIKEHT"
Senior Reader
watsunrock

I appreciate the information....Ralph's mix sounds like the way I should go.  The small one bag batches will work out great for me as I will be working for a couple of hours in the evenings.

Thank you for the input, it is greatly appreciated.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.