Apprentice Member
Still Learning @80

Three Tab Shingles

When Installing three tab shingles how many roofing nails should there per shingle and how should they be placed.

Thanks

Joe

Still learning @ 81
Esteemed Advisor
Larry-Jenkins

Re: Three Tab Shingles

Code here for three tab shingles is four galvanized nails.  Length of nails depends on whether you are doing an overlay, which is now illegal in some states. 

Three tab shingles are almost extinct due to the use of Architectural shingles being used mostly for both new homes and re-roofing.

I don't know what code is for the spacing of the nails for three tab shingles.  Doug in Atlanta will know, as will other roofers.

Larry

Good enough.. Isn't.
Esteemed Advisor
p_toad

well, part of that depends on where you are and what the code is....i found this for the 2007 Florida code "R905.2.6 Attachment. Asphalt shingles shall have the minimum number of fasteners required by the manufacturer, but not less than four fasteners per strip shingle or two fasteners per individual shingle. Where the roof slope, exceeds 21 units vertical in 12 units horizontal (21:12), shingles shall be installed as required by the manufacturer."

and from another source 2 nails per tab... 6988i816CAA38D0A929E3

Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

Installation instructions should be on the back of the package. If not and you can't make out the diagram in the above post it is one nail on each end and one nail above each gusset. The nails are placed above the gusset and below the sealant.

Rick

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Honored Advisor
ynoT

Nothing wrong using 6 nails per. In FL the code says 6 for dimensional ones. The other kind is about all gone.

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Senior Contributor
DRAGON1

2 nails per tab is usual.

But I use 1 1/2" barbed roofing nails, not the 1" ones.

Of course I don't look busy!!!

I did it right the first time!!!!
Senior Contributor
CloseEnuff

Sir, if you are planning on roofing or reroofing your home you are in way over your head - if you are asking this kind of question, and if you are 81 yrs old as your name implies.

Depending on the climate you have different weather proofing requirements.  Hurricanes?  Ice dams? 

Is this going over existing shingles?  New roof?  How does a starter course (1st row) go on?  What about the ends?  Should I get 15yr/25/30?  How do I cut them dang things without putting a hole in my leg?

I suggest you talk to a roofer and pay him some $$ to consult and give you advice.  But I still think an 81 year old has no business on a roof.  A friend of ours (70's) took a dive off his this past Spring.  Concussion, broken arm and broken ribs, but otherwise OK.   Then he paid a roofer to finish the job and the doc to mend him.  Which do you think cost more?

You are going about 24 mph when you hit the ground falling 20 feet.   Which is about a 200 G deceleration.

Pray For our Country and Leadership - which is currently non-existent

Contributor
Doug in Atlanta

Minimum is 4 nails, one each roughly 1" in from each edge and two more evenly spaced in the center. Some areas require 6 nails but the layout is the same. On slopes over 12 /12 use 6. Look at the back of the bundles, the manufacturer will show you where to put them.

Doug in Atlanta
Apprentice Member
Still Learning @80

Thanks to all who replied to my question about installing roofing shingles.

No i had no plans of going to shingle a house or any thing that would put me in danger of losing my life.

The project at hand is a small shed with a five pitch roof.

I did do most of the construction myself but my sons did install the plywood roof and did the shingles which came out quite nice.

Thank you for your concern.

Respectfully

Joe

Still learning @ 81

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.