Esteemed Advisor
fredhargis

Rattling soffits

We have just bought a house that has aluminum perforated soffits around the 18" roof overhang. This house is more-or-less on a knoll, and so catches wind fairly well. On the more gusty days the soffits, especially in the NW side of the house, will lift up slightly causing a rattling sound. On watching them I though a sheet metal screw in each panel to hold them down might do it. But I'm puzzled by why they rattle, aren't they supposed to be held down by something? If yes, what is that, it would seem to have failed on my house. Is there another solution to my rattling?

"I long for the days when Coke was a cola, and a joint was a bad place to be" Merle Haggard
Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

Re: Rattling soffits

NOT positive, but I think the soffits are just riding in a channel that is nailed to the building. This would create the rattle. I think ONE screw would be okay. Two might not allow for expansion and contraction which metal will do as well as wood. Probably put the screw more toward the house end of the soffit as the wind would hit the house then up to the soffit. Just a thought.

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"
Esteemed Advisor

[ Edited ]

What about lifting the panels a little and placing a drop of silicone caulk to act as glue between the panel and the channel.  With screws you may come up with rust or other discoloration.   Roly

Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

Very good idea Roly. Besides no rust, the silicon will flex with movement. Probably should be sure to get the "exterior" grade silicon.

Senior Contributor
CloseEnuff

My dad had the same problem.  Silicon did the trick.  Great idea.  My problem with my house was an annoying downspout that was placed so that water dripping from the top of the spout would free fall 16' down and strike the bend at the bottom like a drum!  PONG PONG PONG all night long that first rain after buying the house.  It drove me nuts!  Easy solution, I angled the spout about 1".  Now the water runs down the side of the spout.  Oh the little things about our homes that bug us!

Pray For our Country and Leadership - which is currently non-existent

Advisor
tomsteve1967

well i know someone that had a rattling problem, but it was the empty beer cans he put up in the soffit as he emptied them while puttin up the soffit.

along the facia, the soffit is usually( its how i was taught and did anyways) stapled in place to hold it until the facia is put up, which holds  the soffit in place. if the sub facia wasn't level along the run, it could have been nailed to float, which would leave enough of a gap to cause the soffit to rattle.

the silicone sounds like the simplest, most effective way to go to me.

no matter what i build or how many times i build it, it's all practice.
Esteemed Advisor
fredhargis

Thanks, guys. The silicone sounds like an easy aproach. I was curious about the mention of movement in a few of the replies. Just what movement would aluminum have? I know metal expands/contracts slightly, but nothing compared to wood, vinyl, or some other materials.

"I long for the days when Coke was a cola, and a joint was a bad place to be" Merle Haggard
Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

Fred, My aluminum storm door moves enough to be hard to close at certain times of the year. I was surprised how much it actually moves.

Advisor
tomsteve1967

well, aluminum , and most metals expand and contract, but with heat. , and not as much as wood.i dont think humidity has a part in it. but with wood expanding and contracting, nails doin the same thing ( especially outdoors) nails can come loose.

i think the movement described is related to the soffit, siding, and facia not being nailed down tight. those 3 things are usually installed to float a fit.

i used to work in a screw machine shop and a few of the screw machines wouldnt run too good until all of the bearings and all of the other mechanical parts warmed up and the tolerances tightened up.

no matter what i build or how many times i build it, it's all practice.
Advisor
handyman john

The soffit material is held in place by freiz strips, channels that are nailed to the roof/wall AND "j" channel. Neither holds tight over time, giving just a bit all the time until it rattles on a windy day.

Roly's idea of a dab of silicone under each is a good one. The other choice is a crease in each but you'd have to get to the end to do that and I'll tell you from experience it isn't worth the effort ... squeeze the answer out and be done with it.

step one; understand the problem - the correct answer will follow

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.