Veteran Contributor
Thomas D

Pine Tree Stump - Termites

We had an old pine tree cut down several years ago. Yesterday I was looking at it to get an idea of the size to have it ground down. I kicked on the bark, it fell off and there was what looked like termites (winged ants).

I don't want to have the stump ground until the termite problem (if it is that) is solved. I would imagine the grinder would scatter them everywhere.

Is there a product out there that would kill them or do I need an exterminator to come out.

Stump is about 25 ft from the house.

Esteemed Advisor
p_toad

Re: Pine Tree Stump - Termites

[ Edited ]

If they're white-ish; they're termites.  If they are black; most likely carpenter ants.  In the spring they grow wings (yes, ants with wings) and set out to make new colonies.  when they land they chew the wings off and set up housekeeping.  If you have diazinon or dursban, make up a spray and soak that trunk before they get out of there.  we get them thinking the house is someplace to live every spring and i always have to spray around the foundation to keep them out.

If you want something not quite so poisonous, but which will still kill them...get a big bottle of boric acid powder at the drug store or the big box and sprinkle that all around and on the stump (and on the ants).  when they lick it off it will kill them.  Sometimes you will see it listed as "roach powder" because it works the same way on them.  they don't like dirty feet.  Carpenter ants have workers and soldiers and the soldiers have big jaws.  The queen(s) are up to an inch long and kinda bloated looking.  If they have eggs in there they will scatter with the eggs when you start "treating" them...  your best bet is to not let ANY escape.  

Veteran Advisor
grandpabear

as with any pest control problem, check with YOUR free local experts. contact your County Agricultural Commissioner or County Extension Office. every county has one or the other and they are the authorities. did i mention FREE.

Whittier CA
THE MOST DANGEROUS TOOL IS THE ONE YOU ARE USING
Honored Advisor
ynoT

Agree what PToad said.

Another "green" solution is grits and molases.

They eat grits which will swell and ants explode.

Or, set the wood on fire....

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Esteemed Advisor
p_toad

Tony,

I like the fire thing, but some communities frown on it...and in some areas it's so dry you would create worse problems.  The free advice is sometimes good...and sometimes worth what you paid for it.  :smileyvery-happy: 

Advisor
Rrandy

I think I recall seeing some stakes of termite remedy around. Depending on how close to other structures the stump is, I'd put some of those not too close to the stump for a few days and then treat the stump. I don't know how effective it would be against termites but a treatment I used on fire ants in Texas that REALLY worked was boiling water. No poison, as soon as the temperature fell below what destroyed cell the grass would start growing again and the price was right. The only danger was getting some on you...it burned but a pair of OVGLOVES and a brand new metal gasoline can kept the heat controlled

Never do anything you don't want to explain to the EMT.

Veteran Advisor
rfcomm2k

A combo of Ptoad and rrandy's solutions is to mix boric acid powder into the boiling water and then douse the stump. Whatever the hot water missed the BA will get when the buggers walk in it.

Click for rfcomm2k's, PA Forecast

"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" Ira Zolper, 1970

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.