Senior Contributor
Gbotha

Paint on white vinyl windows

What can I use to remove paint from white vinyl window frames? Bad paint job. Would scraping/sanding or scouring with steel wool damage the vinyl? Maybe increase susceptibility to staining or yellowing?

Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

Re: Paint on white vinyl windows

Other than scratching, I don't think you'd damage anything as the vinyl is solid, not just at the surface. If it's latex paint, and fairly recent, I would try hot soapy water with scotchbrite pad. Bet it would work. Last case scenario would be a SMALL amount of Goofoff on a rage or scotchbrite pad. I would try a very inconspicuous area first. It will probably remove the shine, but should also remove the paint.    Good luck.

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"
Advisor
Randy@Yorktown

[ Edited ]

Gbotha wrote:

What can I use to remove paint from white vinyl window frames? Bad paint job. Would scraping/sanding or scouring with steel wool damage the vinyl? Maybe increase susceptibility to staining or yellowing?

By bad, do you mean bad color, bad finish, or bad adhesion?  If you have good adhesion, I would consider smoothing out a little by sanding and painting over this coat.  If you have bad adhesion, then of course, this wouldn't be a good idea.

Senior Advisor
GeorgeK-NJ

Randy@Yorktown wrote:

Gbotha wrote:

By bad, do you mean bad color, bad finish, or bad adhesion?  If you have good adhesion, I would consider smoothing out a little by sanding and painting over this coat.  If you have bad adhesion, then of course, this wouldn't be a good idea.

I believe he means the painter got paint on his White Vinyl Windows and is looking for a way/solution to remove what was painted on.  I'm with Russ, if it is latex paint it should come off with warm water and your finger nail.  You might try a hair dryer to warm it up a little.  A heat gun would be to much.

George K
Aberdeen, NJ

"I keep cutting and it's still to short"

"Stupid is Expensive"

Advisor
Randy@Yorktown

George, I read it again, and I couldn't agree more.  It's fairly normal for ME not to see the forest for the trees....or something like that.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.