Senior Contributor
Gbotha

Outdoor wood repair.

What would br best to repair damaged wood, and also  fill large gaps between Hardi siding? Bondo, Durhams??

Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

Re: Outdoor wood repair.

I don't think Durhams is for exterior. Are you painting over the repair?

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"
Senior Contributor
Gbotha

Yes. Part of existing garage door frame, [2x6] was badly milled. Just want to build up missing area to match rest, then paint. Also, new hardiplank siding has a large gap, 1/2" between 2 pieces of hardi 1x4 trim pieces under a bay window. Need to fill that too. Caulk will sag too much.

Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

[ Edited ]

Here's another product I just came across.  http://www.abatron.com/cms/buildingandrestorationproducts/woodrestorationmaintenance/liquidwood.html    Also, some infor on Durhams...   http://www.waterputty.com/pages/view.htm     Seems like it might be okay unless you have a high moisture area.  I think I'd go with the epoxy.

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"
Senior Contributor
dad4taylor

There are a host of wood repair/fillers out there.  I've only ever used bondo and have never had an issue.... BuuuuuT... I did read somewhere that it was not a good idea.  I don't recall what the reason was but it made perfect sense to me at the time and I decided I wouldn't use it again.  Sorry I can't be more helpful

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
Advisor
2Chessies

Try using Vulkem or something similar for your Hardi problem. There are also some other butyl adhesive/caulks that will work as well. Some of them require solvent clean-up but can be painted once they skim over. I would use the epoxy on the wood.Bondo sticks to it but will eventually crack and come loose because it does not expand and contract like the wood does.

Veteran Advisor
Sawdustr

Hello Russ,

Thanks for the link to the filler in the video, where can it be bought? I didn't see anything about the resource of acquiring it and I don't think my hardware store handles it. They also will not buy only one quantity of the product just so I can use it and they would not know if the product would sell well enough to purchase a reasonable amount to stock their shelves.

Remember to keep your hands no closer to a spinning blade or bit than 6" for safety sake.

Respectfully,

Ralph Jones General Forums Host

http://www.ralphjoneswoodworking.com
Visitor
yasas177

[ Edited ]

You can use Wood filler, a.k.a. wood putty or wood patch.

They are typically comes in two varieties – water-based and solvent-based.

Solvent-based filler has long been in the industry and have a good reputation. Water-based filler won't dry out in the can as easily as solvent-based.

Outdoor furniture covers 

elastomeric coating

dining room furniture

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.