Senior Contributor
oljpj

Muriatic Acid

I want to clean my flagstone patio of any film and small stains from grouting it recently. My worry is that the muriatic acid might somehow damage my plastic drain/corrugated piping. I've tried elbow grease and a stiff brush, it helped a little but leaves something to be desired. I just don't want to take any chances since I will be very dependant upon this drain working for years to come. Is there a risk of damaging the drain?

Urbano

"What we achieve too easily, we hold with little esteem". - Thomas Paine
Honored Advisor
ynoT

Re: Muriatic Acid

Muriatic acid is very strong and can do a lot of damage if not used properly.

It will "eat" concrete.

Try very diluted solution first. Than add small amounts, easyily, and see how it works for you.

I can't answer the " pipe" question for I have never seen it used in such matter.

Here, peoiple use it to clean up the driveways.

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Veteran Reader
Woodarch

Muratic acid straight out of the jug might damage the drain piping. But my jug of muratic acid is in a HDPE jug and it doesn't damage that plastic. After scrubbing the stone wash well with water. I doubt the acid will damage the plastic after being diluted. I qould be more worried about acid seeping or migrating into planting areas.
Honored Advisor
stick48668

use white disstilled vinegar straight...

stiff brush...

rinse well...

saver...

healthier...

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Veteran Advisor
grandpabear

[ Edited ]

put a hose with running water at the drain opening, scrub with a diluted acid. the running water will further dilute the acid and keep it moving. also adds a barrier between the drain and acid. use enough water to completely flush the drain. do not use soap or detergent during the scrubbing.

Whittier CA
THE MOST DANGEROUS TOOL IS THE ONE YOU ARE USING
Senior Contributor
oljpj

Thanks, I'm going to try sticks suggestion of using white vinegar. Hopefully it works. I'll let ya'll know.

Urbano

Esteemed Advisor
hankm

If you do use the acid, here's a method to neutralize for safe disposal:

Baking Soda

Don't ask advice on federal firearms law from people on the internet unless you like jail food.

- Beachside Hank, WOOD Online Video Host

Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

If you use acid, dilute to 1:1 and rinse the surface well with water. You will have no problems.

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Senior Contributor
oljpj

Re: Muriatic Acid.-- Final

After confirming that the corrugated pipe and plastic used to make the drainage box was hdpe, I cleaned the stone using a 10:1 dilution and a stiff scrub brush on a long handle. It worked well. I'll probably need to clean it one more time along some short retaining walls that I plan to brick soon.

Thanks again to everyone. Urbano

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.