Apprentice Member
FJC in IN

Making flat Victorian sawn balusters

Anyone out there ever tackle these balusters?  I plan to make them from 5/4 x 6 x 36 treated lumber.  I took a recent trip to Cape May, NJ and got the idea down there.  A search for sources rendered many places ready to take my $$$$, but since I'll need 25-30, I've decided to "ponder" the idea of making my own.

They are basically a flat board with scrolled (not too detailed for me) cutouts... all the same... the finished product resembles a "gingerbread" effect.  I saw only one at Cape May, but it looks really really nice when finished.

My question:  Has anyone out there in "WOODland" ever tackled a similar "mass production" project?  If so, I'm asking you to throw any/all ideas (design/procedural/setups, etc.) out here to help me design my plan of attack! 

Thanks you!

FJC in IN

Veteran Advisor
dab90south

Re: Making flat Victorian sawn balusters

sounds like an excellent excuse to get out the router table and the flush cutting bit for following a pattern you have made.

Veteran Advisor
Sawdustr

Good Morning FJC,

Here is a picture of the ones in my front porch that are in dire need of replacement because, I didn't do my PM in time.

4044i6AAC4E11A86293B9I used 1X12 # 2 white pine to cut these out of however you could do the same with your balusters as they make for a nice looking rail. I rounded over all edges on the scroll work with a 1/4 round over bit in a hand held router.

As you can see they need replaced.

Remember to keep your hands no closer to a spinning blade or bit than 6" for safety sake.

Respectfully,

Ralph Jones General Forums Host

http://www.ralphjoneswoodworking.com
Veteran Advisor
dab90south

something else to consider:  make sure the openings you create are not too large.  local code here for deck railings is that a sphere 3-1/2" in dia must not be able to be passed thru any openings.  this is to ensure that you don't create an opening that some little kid will stick his head thru and get stuck.

old patterns are neat, but we also need to think about safety and liability today.

Veteran Advisor
Sawdustr

Hello dab90south,

How right you are and  when I replace these, they will meet code. When I instaled them some 30 years ago we didn't even have a Building Department and London omly had a popluation of 5,000 and now we are about to reach the 10,000 mark in residents.

My plan will be in the fashion of Arts and Craft Bungalow style. Here in London the maximum width in balusters is 4 3/8" which is the space by using 1 1/2" square balusters 6" on center. Since I sell lumber I may just go on ahead and use 8/4 stock for them out of white oak.

Remember to keep your hands no closer to a spinning blade or bit than 6" for safety sake.

Respectfully,

Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

[ Edited ]

Wow! Kids heads are getting smaller all the time. It's been 4" for a long time. Has it been 3 1/2" in your neck of the woods for long? I better check our code and make sure it didn't change on me.                Update: Just checked, still 4" here. Pretty soon you won't be able to see through the rail.

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"
Frequent Contributor
rbfarris1

Piece of cake to build.

When I did mine, I used CMS, Drill press, band saw, and scroll saw in sort of a production line.e4064iC3BE90B47FFF0EE44065i7EBCF3FE81F97F60

Apprentice Member
FJC in IN

Thanks a million guys...for your comments and especially for taking the times to upload a couple pics.  I'm still designing and milling around several ideas, but your comments helped me make a couple changes to the direction I was taking.  Thanks again!

Veteran Advisor
Sawdustr

Hey RB,

I like your design very much and it would definitely be a different appearance. Do you mind if I borrow your design? I don't want to infringe on anyone's copyright.

Respectfully,

Frequent Contributor
rbfarris1

Sure you may use it.

I borrowed it from a picture of a doll house.

Let me poke around and see if I still have the pattern.

I would send you the template but it is 2400 miles away.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.