Veteran Advisor
Sawdustr

MIND BENDER for 03 MAY 11 "a learning tool"

Good Morning Friends,

While remodeling a bath room in a house the couple bought a new commode as well as a new vanity and sink and everything looked great till they flushed the toilet for the first time, when water came flowing out from under the base of the commode and all over the floor to the tune of about 1/2 of a gallon.

As they scrambled to get a mop to pick it up and wring it out in the bath tub they were asking how could this have happened? What are your thoughts on the matter?

Remember to keep your hands no closer to a spinning blade or bit than 6" for safety sake.

Respectfully,

Ralph Jones General Forums Host

http://www.ralphjoneswoodworking.com
Advisor
Randy@Yorktown

Re: MIND BENDER for 03 MAY 11 "a learning tool"

[ Edited ]

I'm not a plumber, but it seems to me that they either left the wax ring out or disturbed the toilet after it had been seated, breaking the seal.  Since it leaked 1/2 gallon, I would bet on the former.

Honored Advisor
stick48668

vent restricted, soil pipe choked off by the wax ring, construction debris in the soil pipe, wax ring set offset...

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Senior Advisor
GeorgeK-NJ

I think it was more of an obstruction then missing wax ring.   During remodels most will plug the flange to prevent sewer gases from coming in.  If you left the wax ring out and placed the toilet in the right position providing the gap was not to much between the flange and the bottom of the tiolet, you should have minimal leakage. I would not recommend that, just saying.  So I 'm going for obstruction of some kind.  Even a misplaced wax ring will do it if it shifted during installation.

George K
Aberdeen, NJ

"I keep cutting and it's still to short"

"Stupid is Expensive"

Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

Obstruction, and I was thinking along the lines of George's comment. Something stuck in to prevent gases out or debris in during construction.

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"
Veteran Advisor
dab90south

wax ring with rubber funnel installed upside down?

Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

With that amount of water I'm going to tend to agree with George too.

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Veteran Advisor
Sawdustr

Good Morning All,

Dead on the money George for they simply forgot to remove the rubber, air inflated plug before setting the commode on the new wax seal. The fellow felt real stupid for such an incident but he also was not a plumber and had borrowed the plug from his friend the plumber who failed to tell him to be sure to remove it before setting the commode.

Buy "em" books and all they do is eat the cover. Personally I just put up with the smell for it really isn't that bad.

Remember to keep your hands no closer to a spinning blade or bit than 6" for safety sake.

Respectfully,

Ralph Jones General Forums Host

http://www.ralphjoneswoodworking.com

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.