Veteran Contributor
Dave in the PacNW

Lean to shed on side of garage

I have to build a temporary lean to structure to store a vehicle under and want to build it alongside my 24' garage.  I'm planning it on being 20' long and about 8' wide.  I plan on using 2x6's for rafters, with 4x4's for supporting the header beam which will be two 4x6's. The roof will be corrugated fiberglass. It willl have a gravel floor.  It will have a 2/12 pitch. My questions...

1) Would three 4x4's be enough to support the header? We don't get a tremendous amount of snow here in Western Wa. where I live.

2)What is the best way to attach the "board" (sorry can't remember the technical name) to the garage that the rafters are attached to?  Also how do I keep moisture from getting behind it and next to the garage siding?

Thanks for your help.  This was sort of sprung on me.  Boy do I have a lot of other things I would rather be doing.

Senior Contributor
hatuffej

Re: Lean to shed on side of garage

Hi Dave

If you live in an area where building permits are required for such stuff, you would benefit from discussing this with the BP inspector. He will tell you what the minimum requirements are and may give you suggestions for design and installation. Since this is to be temporary, and if wind and snow loads are light, you might consider using steel pipe instead of wood.

Good luck!

Senior Contributor
Mr-Ron

This being a "temporary" lean-to will cost you at least two hundred dollars in materials. Do you really need a shed or would a heavy duty tarp be adequate?

Mr. Ron, So. Mississippi. Smarter than the average bear.
Honored Advisor
ynoT

Why using 2x6 rafters... would 2x4 do?

You need some sort of overlap between garage and new structure to avoid water getting in between. Whatever you put there it will somehow damage your present roof. So when you remove this new add on you may have to repair the roof on the garage.

Question is, before this new add on the rain and whatever else was hitting the side of the garage. Why worry now?

I'd go to local Building Department office and ask for codes and suggestions. You may come out ahead.

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Veteran Contributor
Dave in the PacNW

No permit needed here for this and based on my prior experience with the building inspector for several days with the holiday here.  I have a lot of 2x6's laying around from a building demo that I'm going to use, plus wood here is a lot cheaper than steel pipe.

Dave

Veteran Contributor
Dave in the PacNW

Hey Ron,

Boy do I wish a big tarp would work...the little woman would throw a fit if I hung up a tarp.  She would make some snide remark about where I was raised.

Dave

Veteran Contributor
Dave in the PacNW

Tony,

I have 2x6's laying around here, plus I would think a 2x4 would sag over time with a 9 ft. span.  Not worried about rain hitting side of garage, just the moisture getting behind the ledger board that the rafters are attached to.  As in my other post, the county building dept here is tough getting an answer out of like that, plus with the holidays, I may not get one until next week sometime, plus it might invite a whole lot of trouble.

Honored Advisor
ynoT

2x4 are enough for that span. If you build rafters with under support they will not sag.

As to stop moisture from collecting, why not place tarp between the two structures? Attach the tarp to new add on thus saving the original garage from nails.

If it were me, I'd put up with smart remarks to save on cost and other troubles. Than use that saved money and make her something :-)) After all, it's a temp building. You are almost half way to have a permanent add on... have you thought of that? All you need is floor....

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Veteran Advisor
grandpabear

2 thoughts. 1 make it permanent, wood storage-dust collector-air compressor. move other stuff here.

2  make it temporary. place the ledger under the eave. mount the ledger on 2x6 studs so you dont have to fasten the ledger to the garage. leave a gap between the garage and leger so moisture does not become a problem. 

Whittier CA
THE MOST DANGEROUS TOOL IS THE ONE YOU ARE USING

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.