Apprentice Contributor
Marty76

How to lift a heavy beam

I'm putting in a storage shelf (aka loft) in the garage and the engineer says I should use 2- 16" LVLs.   For me those beams would weigh about 160 lbs each.   I'd like to do this myself, so how can I hoist these up so I can set them?   I can't rent a fork lift because it's inside a garage, it has to go 9' high so my A Frame ladder is not quite high enough to use as a tripod with come-alongs (besides I'll need that to actually set the beam) and I don't think screwing something into the ceiling will take the weight.  

Has anyone else done something similar?

Any ideas?   I'd really like to do this myself without having to rely on friends.   I'd like to save myself the "you're doing it wrong" and "what are you doing that for".....

Thanks in advance.

Senior Contributor
TexasWally

Re: How to lift a heavy beam

You might look into renting a scissors lift. Very common at the larger tool rental places.

Wally

My other hobby is napping. Fun and inexpensive!
Esteemed Advisor

Without seeing the situation can you place vertical 4x4 posts on each end and use the comealongs or a set of blocks attached to a eye bolt thru the 4x4 ?   They also rent a hand operated fork lift for lifting duct work that normally has a capacity of 320 lbs or so.     Also remember if you are trying to lift the beam while you are on the ladder, that weight is added to your weight and can bend the ladder steps :smileyindifferent:  Ok it will.  Another way if you can secure a straight extension ladder some way and use that as a lifting point.  It will need to be secure as you will probably be moving the beam around as you set it.    Secure the ropes or slings on the beam that they cannot slide to the side.    Roly

Senior Contributor
Old Woodie

Could you not try to get a couple of neighbors to help lift it up?

It's not worth it to dwell on things that are not worth it!
Honored Advisor
handy-dan

160 lb man can walk on ceiling joists. Hook come-a-lone to joist near the wall on both sides. Each one lifts 80 lbs. Or lay four by four across several joists for added strength.

Dan

Dan
Youngstown, Oh
Apprentice Contributor
Marty76

The ceiling is drywalled, taped and painted....making this a litle more tricky.   I thought about the come alongs, but not looking forward to trying to find those joists.

Apprentice Contributor
Marty76

I'd prefer not to.   They don't have tall enough ladders and don't know if I want to take responsibility if one of them falls.   Besides there will probably be more time spent explaining why I'm doing what I'm doing then actually lifting the beams.

Veteran Contributor
yrrapoz

You could use 3 two by fours bolted at the top to make a tripod. Hang come along from that.

Knots & Grains
Senior Contributor
dad4taylor

Call your local rental yard and ask to rent a Genie lift and/or do a search on the web.  This is the type of job they are made for and have used them for this exact work in the past.

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
Senior Advisor
GeorgeK-NJ

You can do it yourself!!!!! You just need to think outside the box. I've done it.

Position the LVL's on the floor under where they are going to go.

Take (2) 2x4's and screw them to the top and bottom plates on neither side of the LVL's. You'll need 4, 2 per end.

Keep the 2x4's spaced so the LVL's will slide up between them as you lift the ends. They keep the beam from tilting over.

Now start jacking the beams up, They will slide up with out the possibilty of falling over.

Do a foot at a time.

As you get it up, screw a cross brace under the beam into the 2x4's.

Alternate each end until you get it into place. 

George K
Aberdeen, NJ

"I keep cutting and it's still to short"

"Stupid is Expensive"

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.