Senior Contributor
BobWoodworker

How do I enlarge a stall shower?

I am planning to update a master bedroom bathroom.  The shower is currently 33"x34".  I would like to enlarge it to 40"x50" with a bench seat.  This shower is on the second floor so I'm not getting into moving the floor drain, but I will need to move the supply lines.  My question is how to enlarge the floor of the shower and insure that I have no leaks.  What material is easiest for a DIYer to install?  Is it possible to get a shower pan this dimesion or do I have to pour a shower floor from concrete of another material?  Thanks in advance for any suggestions offered.  Bob.

Honored Advisor
JL North GA

Re: How do I enlarge a stall shower?

I'm sure that you can find something at one of the Big Box stores or a plumbing supply place - but the question is - will the drainhole be in the right place.  I've only done one (as of yet, though I'm sure I'll be doing another one).  I used a "Redi base".  This didn't have a bench seat - this was just a straight tile ready shower pan.

You may want to consider the available pans before you finalize your dimensions. 

Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

[ Edited ]

You will need to dry set  and tile your own base, so that it slopes to the current drain. Google "pouring a shower base" and you should get plenty of info. This is done all the time these days, although with a center drain, but I see no reason it HAS to be centered. Here's a link to something I googled.   http://www.hoagy.org/howto/HowToBuildShowerPan.html

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"
Senior Contributor
dad4taylor

By all means the drain does not have to be centered.... but it's better if it is

When you rip out the old shower you will be down to the subfloor.  If you removed that part of the subfloor you may be able to move the drain rather easily depending on which way the floor joists run.  It may literally be a 5 or 10 minute job.

The bottom of a shower is called a "pan".  An offset pan can be gotten in two easy ways: 1) have one made that way and 2)  build your own membrane shower pan.  

The easiest and best membrane shower pan I know of is a system put out by the Schluter company.  Schluter products are VERY well known in the tile industry.  Do a search on Schluter shower system and you will find all kinds of info on how to do this type shower.  This company specializes in a HUGE selection of very easy to use products backed up with all kinds of great videos and literature on how to use them.  They are about as DIY friendly as you are going to find. 

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
Senior Contributor
BobWoodworker

Re: How do I enlarge a stall shower? Thanks for replies

Hey guys,  Many thanks for all the suggestions.  The Schluter system looks pretty impressive and the videos are really helpful.  Thanks again to everyone,  Bob.

Senior Contributor
Tool Guy - Kg

+1 on the Schluter suggestion. 

:smileyhappy:

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.