Senior Contributor
CloseEnuff

Hardi Backer Board - Which side??

Does it matter which side faces out on a shower wall installation?  It's the 1/2" stuff.  One side is rough. The other is printed and smooth.  I don't see guidance on this on their web site.

Pray For our Country and Leadership - which is currently non-existent

Honored Advisor
stick48668

Re: Hardi Backer Board - Which side??

rough side to the studs...

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Senior Contributor
Gbotha

[ Edited ]

Rough side out or up. You will see a 2" smooth edge along the sides, slightly lower than the rough surface. This is  to accomadate the fibreglass mesh tape that you MUST use and the mortar to set the tape. By rough side I assume you mean the 1"grid and nail locations that is imprinted on the HardiBacker. If its DUROCK, same, rough side out or up.

Honored Advisor
stick48668

the nailer dimples are on the smoth side...

http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner/pdf/backer-install-us.pdf

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Senior Contributor
dad4taylor

[ Edited ]

I was once doing a bathroom that was at least 50 miles from the nearest store that sells Hardiebacker and on my last piece I cut out the toilet flange on the wrong side (the hole was offset of the centerline).  It was my last piece and instead of trying a fix or getting a new sheet I called Hardie (another great company that answers their phone!).  They stated that smooth side out was preferable in that it is easier to spread the mortar and the fact that it has nail guides.  Other than that though they said the mortar would adhere normally and the board would have the same water properties.  So if you HAVE to go rough side out for some reason no biggie but as has been stated it is preferable to go smooth side out. 

The fact that you asked that question leads me to believe that you didn't read the directions and in the tile world that can bite you in a very big way so I now have to give you the mantra:

Make sure your floor (if you're doing a floor) is sturdy enough for the tile you are installing.  Natural stone tile needs a floor twice as rigid as ceramic tile.  Your total floor thickness should be 1 1/8" minimum after the Hardie is installed.  Install the Hardie over a bed of mortar like the directions say.  OK to use nails on floor but not on walls.  Tape the joints per the directions.  Wipe the face before laying tile etc... all on the directions.

Use only thinset from a bag that you mix with water, do not use anything else even if it says "pre-mixed mortar".  I can't emphasize this enough.

Mix your mortar like peanut butter, most people mix way too thin.  The mortar will hold up in the bucket for quite a while.  If it gets a little dry them mix it up... do not add more water!  If it gets too dry and mixing won't help then throw it away.  By the way, slaking the mix (letting it sit for some time and remixing before use) as stated on the bag (and you should read the bag....) will break the mortars back allowing it to be creamier and last longer in the bucket.  Remember it is far easier to remove errant mortar off the face of a tile as you go along than to come back and get it later.  Watch the areas at the tile joints... newbies always have thinset showing amongst their grout

Back butter the tile.  A very thin coat (1/16' or less will do) on the back of each tile coupled with the appropriate size raking on the surface it will adhere to will GREATLY increase the bonds performance.  The bag directions will tell you what sized notch trowel to spread the mortar with on the surface.

Wait at least 24 hours before grouting.  The tiles will move slightly as they dry.  If you place grout in the joints before drying you may get cracked grout lines.  Use the appropriate type grout for the size joints you have.  Again the bag will telll you what grout to use. 

If the job is large and will take more than a day, lay the full tiles first and then come back with the cut tile.  Remember to get ALL of the thinset out of the open area where the cuts will go in.

If doing a shower wall make sure you get a barrier (I use 2 layers of 15# felt) under the Hardie. If doing a wet floor you will need a membrane and slope and all kinds of good stuff.

I could go on for days, this is surely a DIY project and not rocket science but it is surely a job that needs to be done right.  I wish I had a nickel for every failed tile job I've see or heard of.  Don't suffer in silence or not ask a question.

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
Senior Contributor
CloseEnuff

OK thanks guys.  I thought as much.  I'm glad I asked, because I would have replaced a board had not Dad already gotten the information I was seeking (that it doesn't matter that much).  Other information provided is appreciated.   And my 1/2" boards don't have any grid lines on the smooth side - only the printing.  Oh, yes, I did read the instructions.  I simply missed it.  Seems logical that the board placement guidance would be at the beginning - not the end.  Not intuitive at all - though the overall instruction sheet is very informative. 

Pray For our Country and Leadership - which is currently non-existent

Senior Contributor
Gbotha

[ Edited ]

Sorry, my bad. The 1/2" hardi is plain with printed nail locations, while the 1/4" has the impressed grid. So long since I used anything but EASYBOARD. Can carry 10 sheets at a time, up a flight of stairs by myself!! More waterproof too!! Use 1/4" for floors.

http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/ProductCatalog/SurfacePrep/Backerboards/easyboard_half.aspx?us...

Apprentice Visitor
No77ip

I don't get it... If they are "non-existent", then who or what are we praying for?
Senior Contributor
Gbotha

Sadly discontinued.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.