Advisor
TNT Sr
Accepted Solution

HOT!!! Smell electrical burning...dim lights

[ Edited ]

Morning All -

So I'm sittin around this morning watchin TV and all of a sudden it started cycling on and off.  The computer was doing the same thing.  Went into the bedroom and I could smell electrical.

I think I've narrowed it down to a couple of circuits based on the smell, but that's where I have questions..

I went out to the breaker and turned each breaker off one at a time to see if that would fix my light issues (half the house is dim).  They still didn't come back to full power.  There are multiple circuits affected here.  2 bedrooms are good to go, 2 aren't.  Hallway is affected as well as a couple of walls in our bedroom.  Found a good one to hook up the computer though :smileyhappy:

I'm going to speculate that a wire has somehow melted and it's causing it to bleed out???  I'm fixing to get to work on the culprit circuits and see if that resolves my issue, but thought I'd go ahead and post up to see if ya'll had any suggestions...

Thanks for the advice.

Troy

Remember, you're just one mistake away from a lesson learned...
Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

Re: HOT!!! Smell electrical burning...dim lights

Be VERY careful. Fire can start IN the wall. Your breakers should have tripped. I would feel each outlet and switch for heat. Again, be careful!

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"
Esteemed Advisor
p_toad

Consider getting (renting) a thermal imaging unit to check your walls...all over before you start doing anything else.  If the problem is in the wall and not at an outlet, you will be able to tell...and if it IS at an outlet, make sure the juice is off and you don't have any split circuits.

Advisor
TNT Sr

Went to the breaker box to check voltages...every other breaker is reading 45 or so (even my 220 poles are 120 on one and 45 on the other)...the other ones are still reading 120.

Troy

Esteemed Advisor

Put your hand on the outside of the panel and see if anything is warm.   If it is, it is either a bad connection on the incoming lines or a bad main breaker or the connection.     If ok go outside by the meter and look for any burnt areas by the meter socket.     

Do not open the meter socket or attempt to pull the meter if any area outside is hot or showing signs of heat.

The other problem I have seen is a bad buss connection inside the breaker panel.

Does any 240 appliance work properly ?     Another possible problem problem is a open neutral, but in that case  half the house is dim the other half is bright.      

Best suggestion is to call the electric company, even with a small service charge if the problem is yours and not theirs.    Also  the safest as the areas of the meter socket and main breaker is most likly unfused .    Roly

Esteemed Advisor

[ Edited ]

While your in there check the incoming lines to the panel for 240 V      If you are still showing both the 120 and 45,on the lines to the panel,  call the electric company.    Roly

Advisor
TNT Sr

[ Edited ]

Didn't feel anything warm...

So is it safe to touch one of the incoming legs with a meter?  If I get 45 on those, then I'll know to make a phone call.  If they're good, may have to call an electrician to replace the box???

Troy

Advisor
TNT Sr

I used the stove this morning to make breakfast and didn't notice anything unusual.  Course, this happened AFTER I was already eating.

Troy

Esteemed Advisor

Just touch them with the meter probes as you did on the breakers.       I'll bet the problem is outside so you should get the 45 volts on the main lines.    The breakers have to still be on as before, other wise you can get a false 240V   Roly

Advisor
TNT Sr

Welp, one incoming leg read 45 and the other 120.  Guess it's time to call the electric company.

I really appreciate all the help!!!!

Troy

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.