Frequent Visitor
DanoD
Accepted Solution

Cutting 45 degree angles on laminate trim

I am building a new counter top and have one corner that is cut out. Basically so you don't run into it.

I would like to know how to trim the laminate on the face trim of these angles as they are at 45 degrees and not 90?

The counter top I am fine with trimming, just the face trim that I have a question on.

Thanks

Dan

Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

Re: Cutting 45 degree angles on laminate trim

Assuming that you are talking about a corner of the counter top is clipped off at 45 degrees, you have a few options.

One is to install the face and end laminates, then file them flush to the angled portion. Then apply the angled portion and file it flush to the other two faces.

Second option is to start on the end, file the laminate flush. Install the angled portion, then file it flush, install the face, then file it flush.

Third option, the hardest, and not really worth it. Use a "shooting" board to plane, sand, or file the ends to 22-1/2 degrees and glue them on.

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Frequent Visitor
DanoD

Thanks for your quick reply. You are correct in assuming that it is clipped off at 45 degrees. Is the first option that you gave the one most people would use or the second option?

One other question about the file to use. I have a flat smooth all purpose file. Is that good enough to do the job. I have heard of plastic files. Not sure what the difference is?

Dan

Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

Options 1 and 2 solely depend on the main direction of travel around the counter area. If the counter is mainly seen from the front edge, then I would start with the end and work my way towards the front. If the counter is an island, then I would cap the 45's first, then do the ends and faces. You can compare option 1 to siding a house. When siding a house with vinyl or steel siding, you always start at the back of the house so that the overlaps in the siding are less visible.

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Esteemed Advisor

Another option is to put a radius edge on the 45 corners and wrap the laminate around them, all one piece.

You may have to heat the bend area a little to help it bend around the corner, depending on the radius and type of laminate.      Roly

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.