Senior Reader
cmyoung_2

tambour rollup cabinet door

Building a kitchen cabinet with an appliance garage, 36"wide x 18"high. Can't afford to buy the door, so how do I build one? It will be painted white, so what kinds of wood will work for that span. I have plenty of pine, would have to buy hardwood. From what I can see, most slats appear to be about 3/16" thick by 3/4" wide, and glued to a canvas back. Is that close? What are some ideas to make it simple and still work and look good?  Thanks

Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

Re: tambour rollup cabinet door

For wood on a door this wide I would use the truest quarter sawn lumber that I could find. Then I would buy a set of THESE .

Rick

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Senior Contributor
LOman

+1 for the quartersawn lumber. I built one for our cabinet about 3 years ago and made my own door. Used a quarter round on both sides of 3/4" stock and ripped strips from it. Then stretched a piece of boat canvas over a piece of plywood with waxed paper under it. Coat the strips and place them on the canvas then clamp another piece of plywood with more waxed paper over the top using cauls and let it set. Make it oversized and cut it to fit when it is dry. Also, place spacers under your bottom sheet and cauls so you can get the clamps on without messing with the "sandwich". Show us some pictures when done.

Ron

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."
Senior Reader
cmyoung_2

Two really good ideas, like the router bits that form the joint, but rather expensive for one time. I'll probably go with the cut, round over, and glue method. It might take awhile to find quartersawn material, that type of wood is not available locally. Since the cabinet will be painted ply and pine, can the strips be pine or do they need to be hardwood?

Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

They can be of pine but might I suggest using poplar? It's a little harder and accepts a paint job alot better.

Rick

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Senior Advisor
Woodburner

+1 for the poplar.  Good wood to work with in many regards. I would also trust the stableness of the poplar more than the pine.

Leo

LEO
Forums Host
Senior Reader
cmyoung_2

Poplar sound good. I have some old (100+) poplar floor boards from one of our floors. Sounds like a perfect reuse of the boards. This house is an 1886 2  story farm house in the NW mts. of NC. The house has a hemlock frame (pinned and poplar floors, walls and ceilings. Interesting to work with:smileyhappy:

Senior Advisor
Woodburner

Sounds as though you are very privileged to get to work on a place like this. Is this your property or a outside job? Show a pic or two as you proceed. That old wood should be quite ready for a new use.

Leo

LEO
Forums Host
Senior Reader
cmyoung_2

It's our's (and the bank's) We've been in it for about 12 years, done some minor ?? work like taking the bounce out of the floors, and last year started on the kitchen. This last cabinet is my slow one. Retired a year ago and just can't seem to find the time to get anything done, have to learn NO more often.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.