Apprentice Member
dmiddle2

slow set epoxy

I have never used an epoxy as called for in the construction of the ZigZag Rocker, in this months issue.  Please reccomend a product and where I can purchase.

Thanks

Don Middleton

Honored Advisor
krumy205747

Re: slow set epoxy

I don't know what was called for in the article but I've been using RAKA epoxy for quite a few years. Always performs as expected and I get good service from them too. 

RAKA Epoxy

Steve K

Where do I get my wood? I'm oppor"turn"istic!!
Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

When I made a handful of rocking chairs two years ago I reached for SYSTEM 3's T88 epoxy, as sold at Woodcraft.

It's got a recommended 24 hours of setup time, and it worked out beautifully.    Be sure to tape around the joinery with blue tape and be prepared to remove the tape in a couple of hours, after the epoxy starts setting up but before it actually gets hard.  This makes cleanup around the glue joints MUCH easier.  

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

Honored Advisor
kmealy

Also sold at Rockler if that's more convenient for you, or want free shipping.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5337

MSWOODcraft wrote:

When I made a handful of rocking chairs two years ago I reached for SYSTEM 3's T88 epoxy, as sold at Woodcraft.

It's got a recommended 24 hours of setup time, and it worked out beautifully.    Be sure to tape around the joinery with blue tape and be prepared to remove the tape in a couple of hours, after the epoxy starts setting up but before it actually gets hard.  This makes cleanup around the glue joints MUCH easier.  

Apprentice Visitor
dpinoy

I have never applied epoxy.  I have purchased the epoxy and the hardener.  I need to know how to apply the epoxy.  Do I put it on both faces of the joint?

Honored Advisor
kmealy

Without knowing what type of joint you have, grain orientation, wood species, and how many concurrent glue up joints (in other words, how quick you will be to assemble, ) the usual recommendation is yes, both sides.  If you are doing a "slam and jam" rub joint,  it would be less critical.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/document.do?docId=534&title=How+to+Glue+and+Repair+W...

The other thing to know about epoxy is that it does need a thicker glue line than other glues.   It is one case where you can "starve the joint" with over clamping.

I have  found the slow set can flow out of a joint, so I might use masking tape to protect around the joint and/or dam up the epoxy.  If I'm gluing up a finished piece (e.g., repair), I will smear some Vaseline around the joint so the epoxy that gets out will simply pop off while it's in the gel state.

Advisor
tomsteve1967

if its a slow cure epoxy like the west system mentioned, i like to warm it up a bit in some warm water first. then after mixed, apply it to any end grain where there is end grain in a joint and let it soak in for a bit. then apply to other side of joint and clamp. ti like the slow cure/set epoxy as it allows more time for the epoxy to soak into the wood and make for a stronger joint.

i started using epoxy back when i was into high power rocketry. when body tubes were thick cardboard and fins were plywood, it made a superior bond that was able to withstand some serious stresses. i had a 1/4 scale patriot that i launched out in ithica in january of 99. had an ejection failure, so it came back from about 1500' and slammed into the ground. the rocket disintegrated, but the motormount/fin canister was completely intact.  that west systems epoxy is awesome.

no matter what i build or how many times i build it, it's all practice.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.