Apprentice Member
TIM B IN MI

$ ? rough cut oak

I know a fellow from work who has a bunch of rough cut oak he is willing to sell. neither of us really know what rough cut oak is worth its all been stickered and is plenty dry in the loft of his barn (lotsa bird poo but dry) When i asked what he wanted for it he said make an offer. So there is the ? what is a resonable offer for something like that. Thanks

Veteran Advisor
dab90south

Re: $ ? rough cut oak

google is your friend

just peeked here

http://www.willardbrothers.net/ORDER%20FORM.htm

i'd offer him about 1/2 to 2/3 the going price.  retail oak is selling for about $5/BF.  i'd offer $3/bf, if really dirty, $2/bf.

Honored Advisor
amateur60

There are a lot of other dimensions to the price.  For example, is it red oak or white oak.   Was it ever graded?  Oak can sell commercially from FAS (First and Second) down to common or below.  Being in the loft of a barn, unless the barn is heated, and it sounds like it's not, doesn't mean it is dry enough to be ready to use for furniture.  It would be air dried--a percentage of moisture which varies depending on where in the country you are.  Is it all 4/4?  What are the width's--wide is worth more.  Is any of it quarter sawn? 

Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

Local graigs list just had rough sawn red oak (no grades) $2.00 pbf,

rough sawn black walnut (kiln dried, no grades) $2.40 pbf.

This is in Minnesota.

Rick

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Senior Advisor
firejohn

I recently paid $2.96/ bf for FAS rough sawn 4/4 red oak at a local Flint lumberyard.  True thickness ran no less than 7/8"

Apprentice Contributor
Dan Stuckey1880448

Here in central Pa, I pay 2 bucks a BF for FAS red oak, kiln dried, surfaced to sides to 13/16, one edge straight.
Veteran Advisor
ericjoseph2001

Here in OK I pay $3.65 per bd ft on S2S white oak, haven't priced the red except at Lowes, it's high there.

Advisor
tomsteve1967

is there any chance the bird poop might stain the wood?

no matter what i build or how many times i build it, it's all practice.
Veteran Contributor
ToolKing

When my son and I are buying 4/4 rough Oak lumber from an individual we usually pay $1.00/bf and sometimes we even get it for less. We find deals like this to be common.

Myron

"Woodworking tools are my passion in life."
Advisor
Beaver Creek Woodworks

$1.65 for kiln dried, 4/4, first and second, rough cut red oak in West Tennessee.

Greg Coleman
Jackson, TN

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.