Veteran Contributor
davidtonetti2000

restoring an old table saw

I have a tablesaw that had some kind of primer spileed on the table surface I got alot of it off from the surface using a remover called oops and with a scotchbrite pad also. I was woundering if the table could be sand blasted ,once it was removed from the saw base,or should I continue to put sowmore oops and hard rubbing into it. Also after I clean the surface what kind of wax would I need to use to make the surface slick again.

Veteran Contributor
LibertyWW

Re: restoring an old table saw

Are you using the scotch brite pad by hand?  I know that they will stick to a random orbit sander with a hook & loop pad and that works great.  As far as making it slick, I use Slip-It in a quart can.  I coat my jointer every time before I use it and the rest of my tools about once a month.

Fred

Senior Contributor
rph816

agree with the above, certainly DO NOT sandblast the work surface.  Commercial sand blasting (even sand used at home) can really damage machined surfaces, not to mention it can place a lot of stress on the metal itself.  If you want the bottom (ribbed) portion cleaned up, I would consider electrolysis or a wire wheel.  If you really want to blast (the non-machined portions) look into soda blasting.  Best of luck.

Ryan

Senior Contributor
My Old Tools

Good advice above.  I use my ROS and 200 grit followed by Scotch brite.  After you are happy with it, wax with

Johnson's paste wax or similar wax that doesn't contain silicone.  Car waxes are not advised.

Ross Canant
Wood Online Forum Host
Specialty: Vintage Tools
Senior Contributor
Frank Rothmann

You might consider taking the table off the cabinet/enclosure and bringing it to a machine shop to surface grind the table surface. You need to consider if it's worth the expense.
Frank in Anderson, SC

Why is there enough time to do it over, but not enough time to do it right the first time?

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.