Apprentice Visitor
nannypaw7141

removing screws that have been covered in polyurethane

Kitchen remodel in process...cabinet hardware has been covered in layers of polyurethane..builder took the easy way out and  did the finish  AFTER hardware was installed!  Now, I want to change the cabinet hardware and cannot get these screws to budge!!!  My husband & I have tried screwdriver after screwdriver and cannot make them budge one bit!  Any suggestions?  (He wants to give up and keep the old out-of-date hardware now....)

Honored Advisor
stick48668

Re: removing screws that have been covered in polyurethane

here ya go.... http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2020952/23423/Pro-Grabit-Screw-and-Bolt-Remover-3-Piece-Kit.aspx

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Senior Advisor
Woodburner

Stick that is a very good suggestion. I have that set and even though I have not used it for the exact purpose asked about here, I believe it should work.

LEO
Forums Host
Honored Advisor
stick48668

it does work....

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...

Stick....
Honored Advisor
krumy205747

[ Edited ]

If the heads are not stripped out an old fashioned brace with a screwdriver bit will turn them, or twist them off. You can get a tremendous amount of torque with one of those.

brace.jpg

Steve K

Where do I get my wood? I'm oppor"turn"istic!!
Esteemed Advisor

Stick that was a great tip.  I have never used them for that but I can see it would work.     Roly

Honored Advisor
stick48668

and additive would be to insert yur screw driver and give the driver a really sharp rap or two to fracture the poly....

Stick....
Honored Advisor
amateur60

It's likely that when you get these screws to turn, removing the old hardware will damage the finish anyway.  So aren't you going to need to strip these cabinets anyway?  That would remove and/or soften the finish gluing the screws in place. 

Honored Advisor
stick48668

heat gun will do that...

Stick....

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.