Apprentice Visitor
carpentergirl1

pocket door frame

im a beginner can someone point me to plans on how 2 build a pocket door frame in a wall thanks terri

Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

Re: pocket door frame

Pocket door frames will come with the pocket door when you buy it.

But here is a how to pocket door LINK. Hope it helps.

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

I've installed LOTS of pocket doors. Any questions, just ask. New construction, existing construction, comes in a box or comes pre-built. Most important thing is the head to be level.

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"
Honored Advisor
-Paladin-

It is cheaper and quicker to just go buy a kit. Most of the preassembled one are so poorly constructed that it takes just about as long to fix them as it does to assemble yourself. The ones from the BORG are particularly crappy. Remember to use the shorter "Dry Wall" screws, this is likely the most common error by DIY folks, the first time.

~PALADIN~
Wood'nBoats&Stuff
Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

Great point (no pun intended) Paladin. I've never had issues with the pre-built ones though.  Yet. :smileysurprised: WATCH THOSE NAILS/SCREWS

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"
Esteemed Advisor
hankm

-Paladin- wrote:

It is cheaper and quicker to just go buy a kit. Most of the preassembled one are so poorly constructed that it takes just about as long to fix them as it does to assemble yourself. The ones from the BORG are particularly crappy. Remember to use the shorter "Dry Wall" screws, this is likely the most common error by DIY folks, the first time.

Second only to the guys that build roll top desks and blow access holes for cables through the upper back panel- with the top rolled up!

Don't ask advice on federal firearms law from people on the internet unless you like jail food.

- Beachside Hank, WOOD Online Video Host

Senior Contributor
Allen O.

I recently finished putting my first one in as a retrofit into an existing bathroom wall.  After looking at the ones at our local big boxes I decided to order the one from Johnson Hardware through Amazon.    The instructions were easy to follow and all the hardware was top notch and very easy to work with.  Nice thing about the Johnson was that it was universal and could be adjusted to fit any door width from 24 to 36 inches.  A few cautions to share if you are not familiar with this type of work.

1. Know where your water and plumbing lines are before you start cutting away on the wall.  Cutting into either could be inconvenient, at best; life threatening at worst.  This may mean small investigating cuts to see exactly where things are located.

2.  Know if your wall is a load bearing wall or not.  The kit itself is not load bearing and additional header improvements may be needed if it is. 

IMHO, the kits are so reasonably priced it would not be worth my time to make one from scratch.

Allen O.
"Today's mighty oak is nothing more than yesterday's little nut that held it's ground."

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.