Senior Contributor
My Old Tools

new shop

I'm going to get the chance to design and build a new shop space in a few months.  I'm currently crowded in 1260 SF of metal building.  I already know I want to go from 10 foot to 12 foot sidewalls, and create more loft spaces.  What are your lessons learned for great shops?

Ross Canant
Wood Online Forum Host
Specialty: Vintage Tools
Advisor
Marlen_at_WOOD

Re: new shop

I hope this doesn't come off as a promotion, but we've created several newsstand specials the past few years that deal with top shops around the US and Canada. America's Best Home Workshops 2009 and America's Best Home Workshops 2008 are still available. The 2007 issue is sold out. Page for page, I think you'd have a hard time finding more great ideas and illustrated projects.

In addition, take a look at the WOOD Shop Showcase section of WOOD Online. You've find numerous ideas there as well.

Marlen @ WOOD

Advisor
handyman john

And if I could have I would have ... built ONE end with a two level storage area in mind. An upper mezzanine for light weight stuff and tools and the lower area as a lumber rack, limiting THAT area to 6' tall (no reason to LIFT boards over my head).

For the most part 10' walls are great but the last 8' or 10' can be used for a lumber rack the full width of the shop with exterior walls at 16'. Add plenty of electric UP so you can have battery chargers, lighting, and even a small "office".  10' allows "normal" 8' stock and a behind the rack area for long stock 16' or more AND sheet stock on edge.

Add one end you could use the lumber storage area with a RAISED ceiling (an upper deck area ?) for a small dust controlled "clean room".

IF my shop were to be built without the city's height restriction I WOULD HAVE built it with that idea in mind - it was in "the plan" but I was told 16' walls made the roof TOO TALL (we have a height restriction that was mis-interpreted).

As you might be able to tell I thought about this for a long time and wish I could have a "do over". :smileyhappy:

step one; understand the problem - the correct answer will follow
Honored Advisor
ynoT

What ever happened to these two members?

Sorry, Marlen, you are exempt for you are part of Wood Exe branch.

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Honored Advisor
stick48668

preserve floor space...

aisle everthing to make moving your project or it's material about the shop...

floor recpts...

avoid verticle obstructions...

gander the shop forum..

absorb your vids and lit on noteworthy shops...

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Honored Advisor
stick48668

http://community.woodmagazine.com/t5/General-Woodworking/Tips-for-efficient-working/m-p/253976#U2539...

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Veteran Advisor
Ted_in_Michigan

Ross - Couple things:

! - Like Stick said - plan ahead for floor outlets. And lots of wall outlets - more than you think you'll need.

2 - Tall ceilings are great - and important - but they can be too tall. When that happens, lighting becomes troublesome as the tall space absorbs light like a black hole. I put track lighting along the perimeter in my shop. Hardly ever use it as it's high (only 9 ft).

3 - Floor. Most folk do a concrete slab. I did, too. I then put stringers down, insulated between them and put a 3/4 t&g OSB floor on top. Resilient and warmer in the winter.

4 - Heat (cooling?)

5 - Windows - I like them. The more the better (but I bet some day I'll replace glass in the one by the lathe!)

6 - I would LOVE a separate finishing room.

7 - I would LOVE to put my compressor "outside".

9 - I would LOVE to replace the "garage door" with french doors.

10 - One thing I did that I don't regret was putting in a porch along the fron. Nice place to take a break.

Ted in Michigan
Go Buckeyes!
http://www.tedsworkshop.com
Honored Advisor
ynoT

I think you guys missed my question.....

I was asking what happened to those two guys, Ross and John.

Ross was a forum host and John was very active, knowledgeable person.

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Senior Contributor
Ross J

I appreciate your sense of humour Tony!

Regards

Ross

Advisor
handyman john

What ever happened to ME was I got BUSY.  Started a new AMVETS Post, joined Masons, made the "mistake" of using magnetic signs on my truck which generated WAY MORE business that I need ... and in general didn't want to keep walking on all the great folks at WOOD MAGAZINE forums. 

I quit "attending" forums because I was spending WAY TOO MUCH TIME on them and not enough time actually WORKING.  Thanks for remembering and I hope to do better in a year or so when I start collecting Social Security and slow down on my business.

I'll come back soon & post LOTs of photos of the house I've been working on - revived from "intensive care unit". With some part time "help" to assist in grunt work I've pretty much single handed kept a house from being neglected to DEATH ... and THAT is to the credit of the owner (not ME) who is willing to spend the money needed without going overboard.

step one; understand the problem - the correct answer will follow

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.