Contributor
ajrs44

mobile tool cabinet plans. March 2003 issue 147

I am moving to a new home with limited storage for my tools, etc. I want to build 2 or 3 of the subject tool cabinet. The cabinet is drawn at 5 feet tall. I would prefer to build them 6 feet tall. My thinking is that the additional height may cause instability with heavy tools stored in the top shelves. Is my thinking correct, or is the additional foot ok, with of course adjustments to the plans as necessary.

Thanks for all responses and advice.

Al

Honored Advisor
ynoT

Re: mobile tool cabinet plans. March 2003 issue 147

Al,

You never want to store heavy tools at the top. Always at the bottom.

That will make it more stable.

How wide are these cabinets?

You don't want them to be so tall you need to climb in order to get something from the top shelf.

Will they be secured to the wall?

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

I have to agree with Tony to a certain point. You want the bottom to be heavier than the top. That doesn't mean that all of your heavy tools must be on the bottom, just the majority of them. Adding an additional foot to the height of something that only has a 24"x24" foot print is just asking for trouble if it's loaded top heavy.

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Contributor
ajrs44

I was a bit surprised that the project showed a black tool case on the top shelf and other motor-driven tools directly below. The top 3 shelves house these tools, which I tbought was odd given gravity concerns. The designer has a 30" divider on the bottom half which splits the shelves to accomodate smaller items, spray cans, glue, etc.

I don't think it would be difficult to reverse the project so that the split is on the top and then the heavy tools stay on the bottom, which, IMO is where they belong.

The finished unit has a 2'×2' footprint and it opens in an accordian fashion showing 3 separate storage areas. The whole thing sits on 6 4" casters.

So, bottom line....put the split on top, tools on the bottom, and go for the extra foot?

Tks,

Al

Honored Advisor
ynoT

That may work, if you need that extra foot badly.

Just remember that for any foot in height you need to adjust the width.

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Esteemed Advisor
john880

[ Edited ]

Had to go get the issue for a closer look. Have to go along with Al's/ajrs44 reasoning 100%.

Also note the type of casters. I built a movable base for a drill press recently, and purchased 4 rotating, center wheel off-set type, and when moving these made the base very unstable for the width I made. When moving the drill press side ways, this design shifts the wheels inward and unloads the long corner weight bearing on that side that is being moved in that direction. Here He shows wheels straight underneath, with the straight up/down load bearing type.

That plans base size is direct in proportion to the overall size of the three rolled apart separating cabinets. Is there any reasoning to be safe, to enlarge those three cabinets a bit, to create a larger cabinet/s foot print in your initial cut plan, to be safe ? if in that center cabinet (wider) it would make for a deeper,,LOWER,, tool storage,,,,:smileywink: 

TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.

Advisor
DaveinOhio

I agree with the other guys. If you do decide to increase the height by 20% (6 feet instead of 5 feet), then it's advisable to increase the width and depth by 20%, as well. In addition to maintaining the proper proportions and center of gravity, you will also gain (1.2x1.2x1.2) = 1.728 times the storage capacity!

Dave

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.