Reader
scrapworker

making tracks for a toy bulldozer

Help!!! I'm making a bulldozer for a child and want to have working tracks on it. I've tried a few times to do it, but on end grain the pieces are breaking. Can someone please send me some ideas that will work.

Veteran Contributor
defcon4

Re: making tracks for a toy bulldozer

[ Edited ]

how big of a toy are we talking here? how about making them like bicycle chain? you could make the face plates out of just about any kind of thin would you like, and then use dowels drilled down the length for the rollers. slide a threaded or smooth rod down the dowels for an axle and the whole thing should pivot. tedious for a large toy, but maybe doable for a small one. sprocket design for the wheel though will be tricky as you need the right number of teeth to match your chain.

maybe this link can help:

http://www.gadgettastic.com/2008/01/24/fully-functional-wooden-bike-with-chain/

and a better one of the same bike

http://www.leevalley.com/newsletters/Woodworking/2/3/article1-2.htm

Senior Contributor
jimmicarter

Are you working on the Dozer plans from Toys and Joys? What kind of wood are you useing? Walnut is what I have used to make the track pads. Are you cutting the pads so that you are drilling cross grain for the Pins? In other words , you will want the wood grain running longways with the track. Drilling cross grain for the pins will keep your drill bit straighter also.  Hope this helps.

Jim

Senior Contributor
jhechel

While on vacation a few weeks back I saw a guy selling wooden belts. These were made from piece about 1.25" long by 1/2" wide by 3/16" thick. Holes were drilled across the width of the pieces and 60 lb test monofilament fishing line was strung through them to create the belt. I'm sure it was a lot of work but this style would create the look you are after

John
The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese :smileyhappy:
Reader
scrapworker

Jim, thanks for your reply. No, I'm not using those plans, I'm making this one up as I go. I spent 20+ years as a Equipment opperator in the Army, so I've got a good visual as to what I want. The idea of using walnut sounds like a plan because it has a closer grai pattern than the pine that I'm using for the rest of the project. I'm going to give it a try. My Dad left me some scrap whe he passed so I can use it. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Senior Contributor
jimmicarter

Just a suggeston, but a maple cab with walnut tracks would sure look good together. That is what I use building the Kentworth trucks and construction toys for the Grandkids. Maple is close grained, easy to work and pretty dang strong. I use all soft maple. I don't think there is too much difference between soft and hard maple myself.......unless you chew on a limb. Hard maple has more surgar in it.:smileyhappy:

Jim

Advisor
Rrandy

Hmmm...another idea to think on. Maybe get the right sized rib type rubber belt and then fasten the track shoes to the slick side and your "drive and idler wheels" could be grooved to accept the belt. The ribs in the grooves may help keep everything in line and "on".

Never do anything you don't want to explain to the EMT.

Senior Contributor
jimmicarter

Hey Randy, pull up Toys and Joys on the web and look at that track Excavator in the construction pages. It is pretty neat how the track pads and grips are made and put together. One of our local woodworkers built the Cat high track dozer. It was pretty big !

Jim

Advisor
Jay In Atlanta

I believe the Toys and Joys tractor tracks are designed like this.Tractor Track1.jpgTractor Track2.jpg

Senior Contributor
jimmicarter

Jay, you are correct. There is a lot of good information also on how to cut these tracks on that website. Some of the people that have made these tracks have built their own jigs for cutting them. The Excavator takes 65 pads give or take a few extras. I cut mine out with a CNC machine, holding the piece of Walnut down with double faced tape. That is a real good picture of them that you posted. :smileyhappy:

Jim

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.