Apprentice Member
HalSaydah

Re: building new woodshop right

If you are building on a cement pad, during the winter time the concrete will get very cold. They sell the radiant heat floors at a plumbing supply store. You roll this out and pour a layer of cement over it. Typically this will warm up to 5 inches of cement to 70-80 degrees. This is an ideal way to heat the floor, you prolly should invest in a coal or wood stove, it would be much cheaper. This will surely heat the floor, just as effectively.

Advisor
Superglide

Congratulations!!!

I built a 24x24 shop about 5 years ago. I assume you will run your own dedicated service, which should be at least 200 amp. Whatever you decided for outlets, at least double it. Which I had.

I added a 12x12 office last year. It is for my desk, computer, and mini fridge.

Senior Contributor
Dewey2Me1MoTime

One thing I noticed in common with many of the posts was "lots of electrical outlets" which I agree is a must.  To further this, what I did in my shop was to spit all of the runs so upper and lower recepticles are on different circuit breakers.  Also, at least in my area, a ggod smoke / fire alarm as well as security alarms that will trigger a control panel in the house.  I used a GE radio frequency system I purchased on clearance when working in Tool World at Lowe's.  Strategically placed fire extinguishers is also a must.  I know it's just little things I'm mentioning, but they are just as important in my mind as the placement of my TS.

I also have my assembly area closest to the overhead door.  I build a lot of larger type units and being able to just roll the assembly table(s) to the door and load them into the truck makes it easier on my failing shoulders.  I made some major mistakes when putting my shop plan into action, and will eventually change those I can as time and funds allow, but no amount of careful planning will eliminate them all, but you can learn from the mistakes others have made.  :smileywink:

Just call me Dewey! Anything worth dewing, is worth dewing well. I'm dewing my time in southwest Indiana.
Advisor
Superglide

My shop has a motion detector tied to our home security system. And for LOML, I have a wireless doorbell, with the  button at the back door of the house. All she has to do is hit the button to tell me to come in!

My shop is also a mancave. I practically live out there. It has cable tv, stereo, hot/cold water, deep sink, wood stove, phone, office with computer, mini fridge, and a Bar.  :smileytongue:

Senior Contributor
Dewey2Me1MoTime

Superglide wrote:

My shop has a motion detector tied to our home security system. And for LOML, I have a wireless doorbell, with the  button at the back door of the house. All she has to do is hit the button to tell me to come in!

My shop is also a mancave. I practically live out there. It has cable tv, stereo, hot/cold water, deep sink, wood stove, phone, office with computer, mini fridge, and a Bar.  :smileytongue:

What? No french maid?  :smileyvery-happy:

Just call me Dewey! Anything worth dewing, is worth dewing well. I'm dewing my time in southwest Indiana.
Senior Reader
ttwitewolf

The pourpose for the ground wire is not to keep dust from sticking to to duct though this might be a positive side efect, I'm not sure, but the reason is to prevent fires. Large amounts of air moving through the duct can generate static electricity which will spark ignighting the fine dust which will destroy your dream shop in the blink of an eye, so to speek. God Bless and stay safe.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.