Community Manager
Dave at WOOD

Woodworking charity projects

I don’t know why, exactly, but woodworkers are among the most charitable people I know, especially at this time of year. Throughout the year, we hear about clubs and guilds using their collective tools, hands, and hearts to aid nonprofits in need. Greenville (S.C.) Woodworkers Guild, for example, lists on its website nearly 50 organizations that have benefited from their members’ skills or mentoring. Others take care of their own, like Delaware Woodworkers Guild, which raffled a member-built Windsor chair for a fellow member battling leukemia. And let’s not forget the countless individual woodworkers who see a need at church or school and simply step up to the saw to fill it.

Maybe it’s because we recognize our talents for the gift they are, and feel a responsibility to use them for good.
Maybe it’s because, after months of working solo in our own shops, we enjoy the camaraderie of a group project.
Or maybe it’s because we’ll take any excuse to get out in the shop and make dust.  
Whatever the reason, thanks for your service to the community.

Care to share a little more? I’d love to hear about your personal charity project or one done by your club or guild. Reply to this post with photos and a summary or link to the project, and we’ll share it with other woodworkers around the world.

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Dave Campbell
Editorial Content Chief, WOOD magazine
Veteran Advisor
dab90south

Re: Woodworking charity projects

i was reimbursed some money from some projects i made for folks i know.  put the money in my paypal acct, intending to use it to buy more materials, newer tools, and maybe a toy once the account had enough in it.  then learned of a friend in the Philippines whose house and village was passed over by the eye of the tropical storm a few weeks ago.  every house was destroyed, but no one was killed thankfully.  i, and many others, sent him some funds via paypal and he used that to purchase and hand out food and water until aid could get thru.  more money will be used to rebuild some of the houses (about $300 will cover a small house locally).  

tools and toys will wait for another day.

Esteemed Advisor
smallpatch1

I donated this clock for the yearly silent auction at the church last week and my wife added a large stained glass. sceneUS map a clockred 001.JPG

pheasant.jpg

Glass is 20 X 24"

I didn't hang around to see what they sold for.  

Smallpatch

Veteran Advisor
grandpabear

check our site @ www.woodworkersofwhittier.org  we tell people who ask why that we are just little boys that didn't grow up. we just got older, our toys are bigger and when we play with them we make more toys.

Whittier CA
THE MOST DANGEROUS TOOL IS THE ONE YOU ARE USING
Senior Reader
bob47310244

Midwest Woodworkers’ Association

Holiday Toy Project

For over thirty years, the members of the Midwest Woodworkers’ Association of Columbia, Missouri have provided handmade wooden toys to agencies that serve the needs of children in mid-Missouri and around the world.  In preparation for Christmas in 2012, over two thousand toy cars and trucks were distributed to nursery schools and day care centers, a children’s home, women’s and children’s shelters, the Ronald McDonald House, and Children’s Hospital.  The Personal Energy Transportation (PET) Project sends our toys along with the hand-cranked wheel chairs they make and send worldwide to people who are unable to walk.  In years past, toys have been sent to members of the United States military to distribute to children in Iraq and Afghanistan.  MWA members spend the year salvaging usable lumber, cutting out and sanding the toys.  Once a month, they meet in donated space to finish and assemble the toys.  In order to raise funds to purchase wheels, axels and wood finish, members of the club staff displays at local craft festivals and give children and their families the opportunity to assemble their own cars in exchange for a donation.  Approximately two thousand additional toy cars and trucks were given away at festivals in 2012.  We hope that our efforts make the Holidays a little better for children in need.

Honored Advisor
kmealy

[ Edited ]

http://cincinnatiwoodworkingclub.org/Projects.aspx

we just delivered three truck/van loads of toys, 88 plush toys and a  bed for distribution this Christmas

Advisor
Keith Stephens

There are a good number of woodworking clubs in Arizona with frequent charity projects.  Currently the Arizona Assoaciation of Fine Woodworkers (AAFW) is building 200 flag cases to be distributed to the families of  military, police, fire and other first responders.  Joe Hersey is the leader of theis project.  Here is Joe loading maple contributed to this project by Woodworkers Source.

Keith Stephens
Woodworkers Source
Senior Advisor
Woodburner

Great project and those guys need to know how terrific it is for them to contribute their time and effort.  Thanks to Keith and Woodworkers Source also.

LEO
Forums Host
Frequent Visitor
jsmagera341442

[ Edited ]

I wanted to thank you for highlighting the Greenville (SC) Woodworkers Guild's (GWG) charitable work that is done throughout the year.  I would like to highlight the work we do at Christmas time for those children less fortunate in our community.  Many members and their spouses work throughout the entire year to make more than 650 toys, everything from cars and trucks to doll beds with comforters and pillows to rockers and thinking benches. This all comes together at this time of the year. I would like for others to appreciate what our members and spouses do for our community.

John Magera - Proud Member GWG

IMG_0386.JPGIMG_0376.JPGIMG_0378.JPG

Community Manager
Dave at WOOD

Here's one that came to me from Buffalo, Minnesota...

Good morning!

I am emailing today to let you know about our Buffalo Community Center Toy Workshop; we have approximately 20 volunteers (all retired) who spend their time making toy kits to give away to children in need. All of our lumber is donated, with Menard’s being our biggest contributor. So far in 2013 our volunteers have produced over 5,500 toys and shipped them all over the world…the head of our toy workshop, Mr. Erv Schmidt, was nominated as one of the Kare11 Eleven Who Care finalists in 2013. We are very proud of what we have accomplished, and I have to agree with you….woodworkers are truly generous souls! Please let me know if you would like any more information and I will be happy to get it to you. Thank you for your time and Happy Holidays!

Suzanne Kolbinger
Director, Buffalo Community Center

Dave Campbell
Editorial Content Chief, WOOD magazine

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.