Apprentice Visitor
Delray Mac

Wood expansion

I am building an end table about 13" x 19" and about 15" tall.  I have constructed the two sides and two ends and am now ready to attach the bottom which is slightly larger than the 13" x 19" box.  I live in south Florida and the end table will always be inside my home.  The finish will be stain and polyurethane.  Is it likely the bottom will expand and contract enought that I cannot glue the sides and ends to the bottom, but will rather have to use screws and enlarged screw holes?  Thanks

Advisor
Randy@Yorktown

Re: Wood expansion

[ Edited ]

I would need to know more about your design for a definite answer.  If it's all plywood, you can glue everything.  If it's solid wood panels, then the answer depends on grain orientation.  I wouldn't glue any cross-grain connection across the entire length of the joint.  The 13" dimension comes close to being short enough not to worry about it.  But I personally wouldn't glue it in a cross-grain connection.

Senior Contributor
rph816

+1 on Randy's comments, why not make a groove and fit the bottom panel in (w/o glue)?  If that absolutely won't work for you, consider gluing as Randy recommends. 

Ryan

Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

+1 with the need for a better explanation.

Rick

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.