Community Manager
Lucas Peters @ WOOD

What to do with Sawdust?

I know we had a nice thread on this in the old forums, but I thought I might try a few of the suggestions out and report back:

Aside from the obvious "toss it," what do you do with your sawdust?

Anyone have any nifty uses?

I've heard about some folks that combine it with wax to make firestarters. What's your formula?

Can you compost it?

Can you give it away as horse bedding?

I guess the flip side is: What do you not do with your sawdust? (ie: Walnut on flowerbeds, dustpanful in the wood burner, etc.)

Lucas Peters
WOOD Magazine Digital Content Manager
Check out the Complete WOOD Back Issue Collection. Now on USB thumb drive!
Senior Contributor
jhechel

Re: What to do with Sawdust?

I've used mine up:

*mixed with mulch in flower beds

*as mulch in my garden

*as firestarters- stuff a paper bathroom cup and pour molten wax ontop

*mixed into my compost pile

*wrapped tightly in newspaper and stuffed into the wood stove

* cherry shavings and dust get used in my smoker and grill (would walnut work also?)

*as an absorbent for spilled oil

I'm tempted to try mixing it with flour and water (ala paper mache') and form it into logs or burning

John
The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese :smileyhappy:
Advisor
hcbph

Funny you should mention horse bedding.  Until a couple of months ago I gave it to a lady that raised horses for use in her horse trailer.  Unfortunately she's left the company so I don't have a direct contact any more.

Paul

Senior Contributor
Ron P.

My sawdust (oak, maple, popular, pine, cypress mainly) goes in the composter with the leaves, road apples (horse manure) and kitchen stuff.

Veteran Contributor
Jim Frye

I save it all fall and winter and then blend it into the grass clippings that go into the compost bins in the spring.  This keeps the fresh, wet grass from stinking up the place by absorbing some of the nitrogen in the grass.  I also save the output from the paper cross shredder all year and it also goes into the compost bins.  This mix gets mixed with fresh grass clippings and other yard waste all summer long.  It sits in the covered bins all winter and gets spread on the garden in the spring to be tilled into the soil prior to planting.  After the first 25 years of this activity, I had to remove 6" of built up soil to bring the garden back down to the level of the yard.  The kids got several pickup truck loads of topsoil for their yards last fall. 

Jim Frye
The Nut in the Cellar
Senior Advisor
Woodburner

I also use mine for garden mulch as mentioned, but I also burn quite a bit of it in stove.   I have heard this for years, but no first hand knowkedge of it :  "Walnut dust should never be used as bedding with/for  horses.  It supposedly is toxic and can kill by absorbing through their hoofs".

Leo in AZ.

LEO
Forums Host
Community Manager
Lucas Peters @ WOOD

@Jim,

That might not be what they meant when they said they wanted a gift from the shop. :smileywink:

Lucas Peters
WOOD Magazine Digital Content Manager
Check out the Complete WOOD Back Issue Collection. Now on USB thumb drive!
Advisor
2Chessies

Most of mine ends up at the recylcling center.When we get closer to fall though I start mixing some up for fire starters.I will also be taking some of it with me during my late season duck hunts.It is a good traction material on wet freezing boat ramps.It will also work in town as well if mixed up with a bit of sand instead of salt,especially the darker woods like walnut.

Honored Advisor
JL North GA

[ Edited ]

For firestarters (we have a lot of campers around here).

We use egg cartons (the paper kind): wax - 60% or so by volume, sawdust 40% or so by volume, stir the sawdust into the melted wax and pour into the egg carton.  You can put wicking in the carton if you want.  Let it harden and then cut apart.

Compost works well.

I use walnut sawdust on my paths through the wooded area of my lot.  It keeps down the weeds.

During winter, I use it on the snow in the road.   The darker sawdusts (cherry and such) act to absorb the sun.

I also use it to help with my burn piles.

Advisor
Randy@Yorktown

Unfortunately, I end of with too many different types of material in my bag.  It would be an exception to the rule when my bag contained a batch pure enough to use for anything.  I would probably have several exotics from turning, pressure treated SYP, even cellular PVC.  About the only thing you can do with a mix like that is send it to the landfill.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.