Senior Contributor
BobWoodworker

What is the best way to join mitered corners of a large picture frame?

I have had the need to make two large picture frames that exceed the size of my store bought jig, which will hold four corners of a frame that does not exceed 30 inches in length.  The frames I'm making are 58x27 and 46x20 inches.  I need a way to hold the mitered corners tight and flat to allow the glue to dry.  I tried pocket hole screws but they didn't pull the miters together evenly at all corners.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks, Bob.

Veteran Advisor
grandpabear

Re: What is the best way to join mitered corners of a large picture frame?

mitered 1/2 lap joints, the miters will have to be perfect.

Whittier CA
THE MOST DANGEROUS TOOL IS THE ONE YOU ARE USING
Esteemed Advisor
Larry-Jenkins

Besides for long Bessey clamps, the two vertical pieces must be exactly the same length as do the horizontal ones or the miters won't match or close.  Of course, this assumes that you have perfect 45 degree cuts.

Four "L" shaped wood blocks, drilled with holes to accept 1/4" all thread rod, proper lengths, 1/4" wing nuts and washers make a great adjustable clamping frame for picture frames.

Previous WOOD magazine articles show how to make the clamping frame and the inverted "V" sled to cut 45 degree miters.

Larry

Good enough.. Isn't.
Honored Advisor
ynoT

Bob,

May want to consider something like this:

http://www.woodpeck.com/boxclamp.html

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Honored Advisor
kmealy

I made some frames a few years ago that ranged up to 5' x 7' (and were tilted to make compound miters, to boot.)

I grabbed some scrap squares of 3/4" plywood.  I offset them so that the bottom one stuck out about an inch and a half or so more than the top one.  I drilled 1" holes in the top one, about 1" in from the edges.  I set the rabbet of the frames onto the top one and used the holes to secure the head of F clamps.   Lined up everything and clamped all 4 corners until the glue was set.   I also used biscuits to reinforce all the corners.  I think  I may have also tapped in a few brads from both sides once all the frame was set up and squared.

Essentially, I made 4 shop-build versions of a miter vise: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=4945 or http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2001628/104/Professional-Miter-Vise.aspx

Veteran Advisor
Gary K.

[ Edited ]

Here you go. 10 bucks and you have 15 feet. I have used strap clamps for years.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/ProductPage.aspx?prodid=28964

Keedy

" Anyone who isn't confused here, doesn't really know what's going on."

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure. People tell me I'm argumentative, but I beg to differ. All I know is it's bad luck to be superstitious.

Veteran Contributor
bojoyseven

I used #10 biscuits to keep the miters aligned and then pulled them together with a band clamp. Bob

Honored Advisor
kmealy

Band clamps work OK, if the profile of the framing is agreeable to it.  It does not however, ensure squareness, just tight corners.  In any case, you should validate opposite sides of equal length and diagonals of equal measure.  Check diagonals before the glue / biscuits set up.  You do not want a square artwork in a parallelogram or trapesoidal frame.

Senior Contributor
BobWoodworker

Many thanks to everyone for the suggestions.  Since I happen to have a band clamp I think I'll try that method first while keeping an eye out to insure the frame remains square.   Bob.

Veteran Advisor
Gary K.

kmealy wrote:

Band clamps work OK, if the profile of the framing is agreeable to it.  It does not however, ensure squareness, just tight corners.  In any case, you should validate opposite sides of equal length and diagonals of equal measure.  Check diagonals before the glue / biscuits set up.  You do not want a square artwork in a parallelogram or trapesoidal frame.

S.O.P (standard operating procedure).....Aways check diagonals or if you cannot, see if you can fit a small square on the inside.  Most of the time, if you cut your miters at the proper angle and have your corners equal (line up the profiles) you will have it square.

Keedy

" Anyone who isn't confused here, doesn't really know what's going on."

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure. People tell me I'm argumentative, but I beg to differ. All I know is it's bad luck to be superstitious.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.