Veteran Advisor

WOOD MAGAZINE QUIZ for 15 JAN 10

Good Morning Friends,

I like to use chalk to rough out my project parts so I can rough cut them even before truing and planing however I keep breaking my piece of chalk. What would be a good method to use that would help to keep the chalk from breaking so much?

Remember to keep your hands no closer to a spinning blade or bit than 6" for safety sake.

Respectfully,

Ralph Jones General Forums Host

http://www.ralphjoneswoodworking.com
Advisor

Re: WOOD MAGAZINE QUIZ for 15 JAN 10

I appropriate side walk chalk from a bucket that my daughter has.  I wrap mine with blue painters tape.  Just peel the tape back as I use the chalk up.

I wish I could find a chalk holder like my teachers used to use.  Chalk is long gone from class rooms now.  My schools use Smart Boards.  They are actually a computer screen.  No chalk for those.

Greg Coleman
Jackson, TN
Reader

Chalk is long gone from class rooms now. Wow. Thanks for bringing home the age factor. Typing I will not talk or chew gum in class 1000 times just would not be the same.

Urbano

Veteran Contributor

Gotta go with Chief Coleman on this one.

Advisor

I would tend to agree with the chalk holder if you can find anyone who still sells them.  Otherwise, the painters tape sounds like a good idea.  Almost like a crayon.

Troy

Remember, you're just one mistake away from a lesson learned...
Honored Advisor

I'll go along with Beaver too. Painters tape sounds like a good idea.

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"
Veteran Advisor

Good Morning All,

You fellows have it in the right perspective and I think the painters tape would work fine however the shop tip on page 15 in issue 194 stated to use masking tape and I agree because it is cheaper to buy. I'm not stingy but I like to think I'm Frugal. 

Remember to keep your hands no closer to a spinning blade or bit than 6" for safety sake.

Respectfully,

Ralph Jones General Forums Host

http://www.ralphjoneswoodworking.com
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

[ Edited ]

modified lumber crayon holder...

buy...

http://www.toolbarn.com/keson-ps100.html

or make yur own... to any lenght...

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick...

Forget the primal scream, just ROAR!!!

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.