Veteran Advisor
Sawdustr

WOOD MAGAZINE QUIZ for 13 APRIL 11 "a learning tool"

Good Morning Friends,

A fellow wrote WOOD with the following question;

I don't have many long clamps yet, but I want to tackle a book case for my next project. Is there a cheaper solution than dropping a lot of dough on long clamps I won't use often?

Remember to keep your hands no closer to a spinning blade or bit than 6" for safety sake.

Respectfully,

Ralph Jones General Forums Host

http://www.ralphjoneswoodworking.com
Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

Re: WOOD MAGAZINE QUIZ for 13 APRIL 11 "a learning tool"

The use of pipe clamps allows you to have different lengths of pipe to fit the project. There are also ways of using two claps in conjunction. And another option are the use of couplings to join two pipes together.

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"
Senior Advisor
wirebender

Mornin' Ralph -

That was the question Robert Templeman wrote...page 76 in issue 203.

Dave.

There's gotta be a better way
Senior Contributor
Gary Hanscom

I keep a couple of 6' pipe clamps around for such uses, like Russ mentioned. But the other day I needed a temporary clamp to get some measurements on my current project and my clamps were out on loan to a good friend. So I recalled the tip Dave mentioned and by golly it worked! :smileysurprised:

Gary

Honored Advisor
ynoT

What Russ has said.

Dave, so what was the answer?

Just in case someone doesn't have the issue at hand.

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Esteemed Advisor

ynoT wrote:

What Russ has said.

Dave, so what was the answer?

Just in case someone doesn't have the issue at hand.

Tony

I agree with you Tony.     Most of the time I do not go downstairs where the old magazines are stored and look it up.   A short description of the article  would be nice to jog my memory.   (it is needing more jogs all the time )

I think a short description would do more to expand the knowledge of people reading this forum. 

It seems that the issue and page numbers cut short the discussion, in which alternate methods would be brought up.

Roly

Honored Advisor
stick48668

I use Russ's trick with the pipe clamps and coupling nuts...

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Senior Advisor
Woodburner

I am sure that Ralph will show you all a pic mañana but in the mean time let me esplain.

Cut scrap stripes of plywood or use 1 x 2 boards just a bit shorter than the case side that your clamping . Drill holes at the ends to accommodate the jaws of your smaller clamps. Then use this clamp stretcher as not shown below.

LEO
Forums Host
Senior Advisor
wirebender

Tony & 71166 -

Leo beat me to the explaination...I was sure that Ralph would post a pix of the solution and just wanted to remind him of the issue and page, in case he forgot.  :smileyvery-happy:

Dave

There's gotta be a better way
Veteran Advisor
Sawdustr

[ Edited ]

Good Morning All,

Yes Dave gave the right answer and Leo Explained it so now I'll show you all the picture;

Clamp ExtentionsThis is a very economical method to use and then you can use them over and over again or just make new ones to fit the job. I have 2 4' pipe clamps, 2 5' pipe clamps as well as 4 7' pipe clamps that I keep at the ready for just such a need and still I have used this method over and over again and most times out of new wood.

Note how the coupling is apart on the corners and this is so glue will not got on the extension that would surely create a problem.

Remember to keep your hands no closer to a spinning blade or bit than 6" for safety sake.

Respectfully,

Ralph Jones General Forums Host

http://www.ralphjoneswoodworking.com

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.