Senior Contributor
jeff_dawn_ramer

The $100 sliding tablesaw attachment

I just thought I would share my creation with everyone.Actually,I would like to get this in blueprint form,and get it on the forum,so those guy's who have the use for one could build one.I may need to get in touch with Larry Jenkin's,he's seem's to be the in house CAD expert !!!

As my woodworking has progressed over the years,I seem to be more and more attracted to cabinet making.I'm to the point now where I'm being requested to build complete kitchens and office storage systems ( file cabinets and such )And as everyone knows,this type of work requires alot of sheet stock material.Ripping the sheet stock isn't a problem,the problem is crosscutting the peice's to length accurately,and making them square.Even with a good tablesaw,or the use of self clamping guides and a hand held radial saw.This task flustrates me,and it waste's alot of time

I have been looking at ('' and drooling over'' ) a sliding tablesaw,or at least an attachment for my uni-saw.But,that's way to much money at this point in time,and I'm cramped for space as it is.So,I have been kicking this plan around for a few years now,and just got around to building one.Many years ago I worked in a machining and fabricating shop,and we built large transfer machines for the glass industry.The glass tranfer machines were huge,sometimes 200' long,and they used a linear bearing system manufactured by thompson industries.This is where the idea for the slides originated, go to www.thompsonlinear.com looking at their products will give you a much better idea of how the slide arraingement works on the shop built model.

I have a little over $100 invested in this project. 1 1/2 sheets of AC plywood ( $50) 16' of 3/4 ''aluminum shaft ($36) and some red oak lumber I  had in the stock rack,and some odd's and end fastners I had from other projects.

I was very careful ( nervous is a better word for it !!! )in the making of all the peice's for this project,knowing that everything had to run true and accurate.And if it turned out to be a peice of junk,the mrs's would never let me forget the money I wasted on it !!! But,it turned out to be way more accurate than  I expected.I have it setup to cut a 40'' peice in front of the fence,and with a little modifacation it can cut a full 48'' s with a fence in the front of the carriage.The fence is bolted to the carriage,and udjusted square off of the rip fence,and it crosscut's right on 90*

The wood part's in the first picture's are the prototype slides,the actual slide rail's are aluminum,and 8' long,and supported on red oak t-bar's

I have yet to get any good use out of it thought,other than testing it on some scrap's laying around the shop.I think their will be a few guy's interested in building one these.I'll work on the blueprint's for it.

JeffDSCN0189.JPGDSCN0190.JPGDSCN0186.JPGDSCN0187.JPGDSCN0188.JPG

Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

Re: The $100 sliding tablesaw attachment

VERY cool!!

I'd kinda like to see more.  The X-braced table looks like that's where all the action is.  How'd you mill that to keep things registered coplanar between the table and both sets of runners?

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

Senior Contributor
jeff_dawn_ramer

Matt,

The bracing on the under side of the x-table,they were dadoed in with a router bit.And I assembled everything on a torsion box layout table. And with my fingers crossed,and the star's lining up in my favor,everything came out flat and straight.  It may have just been my lucky day !!!! And the alignment on the rails themself,I used a set of gage blocks for the saw side,and a pair of gage stick's to set the width between them as I attached them to the x-table.Amazingly enough,I checked the travel with an indicator on the t-slot's of the tablesaw,and there's only a few thousandth's of variation. I got lucky.

Jeff

Senior Contributor
jeff_dawn_ramer

I do have a complete set of picture's of this project from start to finish in my computer.But,I took them on the wrong camera setting.Now I have to get the mrs's to help me resize them,she's the in house computer geek around here !!!!

Jeff

Veteran Contributor
weighn

omg. really nice. thanks for sharing.

weighn
Senior Reader
blaw235329

Wow, great stuff. My first real step-up in woodworking was using a BT-3000 tablesaw, in which a sliding table is a main feature. I've since upgraded my tablesaw, but really did like that sliding table. I'll have to keep this upgrade in mind.

Nice work.

Veteran Advisor
Danl

Looks very innovative.  Can't wait to see the other pics and Larry's drawings.

Danl

Honored Advisor
ynoT

Whoa, Nelly !!!!!!!!!!

That is so cool and so impesive.

Perfect for just about any size shop.

I'm sure we all can use something that can be extended past the table and still hold the stock to be cut.

Kudos to you for such great project and for showing it to us.

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Esteemed Advisor
Larry-Jenkins

larry.jenkins@hotmail.com

No "expert" but willing to help..

Larry

Larry.. East Central Iowa

Good enough.. Isn't.
Senior Contributor
jeff_dawn_ramer

Thanks for all the compliments guy's. I'll have to figure out a way to get some drawings on here for everyone.Thanks for the offer Larry,I'll be contacting ya.

Jeff

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.