Advisor
Marlen_at_WOOD

Show us your workbench

[ Edited ]
Our 9/29/11 WOOD Online e-newsletter will focus on workbenches. As part of that newsletter we'd like to show what you work on in your shop. Please reply to this post with a description and image(s) of your workbench. If you've got a special vise or other workbench accessory, consider a close-up image. Our weekly newsletter goes out to around 100,000 woodworkers, so this is an excellent way to share your bench with thousands! Marlen @ WOOD
Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

Re: Show us your workbench

My workbench does triple duties as an outfeed table and an assembly table.   

It's 4' by 6' and stands 37-1/2" tall - just right for me.   It's a torsion box assembly of 3/4" MDF and I end up power sanding it down and recoating with polyurethane about twice per year.   Lately it's been needing some wood filler to fill some bigger divots, but there's still plenty of life in the thing.

I've got a Record #52-1/2 bench vice with aux wooden jaws and both sides have been lined with cork for no-mar clamping.    There are two of the Kreg bench clamp attachment points inlayed into the top, for hold-down clamping at both ends of the bench.   

These are somewhat older photos (the config on the walls is considerably different now) but they're the best shots of the bench, itself, that I've got.

Shop 27 May 2005 (Medium).JPG

100_0347 (Medium).JPG

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

Advisor
hcbph

[ Edited ]

I have limited space, so I needed a bench to fit in a small area.  Top is 1 1/2" thick oak banded in walnut reinforced with two threaded rods through the width of the top, hidden by the walnut banding.  I used a cross pattern of holes for bench dogs so I had maximum options.  Since the pictures were taken, I've added a Kreg hold down plate, sinking it into the top so between the benchdogs and the Kreg holddown I have alot of options.

IM001071.JPG

I made the knee vice, purchased a metal screw and the end vice is one I had purchased a few years ago.  The threaded end of the knee vice is mounted to a piece of wood that fits on the back of the leg behind the vice.  I fitted it with 2 dowels that slip on either side of the leg, that way I can push the vice in without screwing it up if I need it out of the way fairly quick.

IM001073.JPG

The legs are bolted together and bolted to the top so it can be broken down if ever needed, 

IM001053.JPG

The knee vice was made from pieces of oak, maple and walnut.  I also added a hole for a benchdog on the top of the knee vice for times that might be needed.  The pin at the bottom is a concrete anchor bolt I had around.  At the time I built it, I had to get the wood for the legs, all the rest I had on hand.  The top is 27" x 42" so it's neither small nor large and fits in the only available space I have for a bench.  The banding also allows using c-clamps and comparable on the edges of the bench plus you can clamp with either vice in either direction

Right now I'm using the shelf underneath the bench to store a number of items I don't currently have a home for.  When not being used for a woodworking project, I have a piece of chipboard that i lay across the top to protect it while doing other work on it.  The panel to the right of the knee vice is drilled for a pin so it can be used to support longer pieces in the knee vice.

It's solid, fits the space and works the best it can for the space provided.

Veteran Advisor
dab90south

[ Edited ]

old work bench:  

3/4" ply supported by 2x4s and 4x4 post legs.  topped with leftover laminate, real easy to clean up.

new work benches:

3/4" ply supported by 2x4s and 4x4 post legs. will top with laminate later, when time and $$ allow.  have since added a 10" woodtek vice.

Honored Advisor
krumy205747

[ Edited ]

I have two, or one and an assembly bench I guess. The first one

bench.JPG

This bench came out of a foundry pattern shop as did the emmert vice on this end. It was given to me. When I got it it had a shelf on the back but I removed the shelf as it always seemed to be in the way. It's about 6' long and 30" wide or so.  The castors were a garage sale find.

My assembly table

assemtable.JPG

This is where I actually do most of my gluing, sanding, planing, etc. etc. It's two 3 drawer chests screwed together with an mdf top. I replace the top a couple of times a year. The chests were salvaged from a remodel project I was involved in  with and was also free. As it sets it's about 50" by 40" I have a zyliss vice on either edge and use them both a lot.

Steve K

Where do I get my wood? I'm oppor"turn"istic!!
Senior Contributor
Ron P.

I'd show you my work bench but there is so much "stuff" on it you can't really see the bench.:smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:  I know I would like to clean it off but my current project, making pens for friends and relatives, only takes a small portion of the bench. Oh well, my shop is a happy shop and looks like it is being used.

Apprentice Contributor
mensch

This is my portable workbench it collapses down to the size of a large suitcase, it is surprisingly sturdy.

P1010220.JPG

This is my newer workbench I finished building it about a year ago. The top is hard maple and the base is ash.

P1010218.JPG

Senior Contributor
ducksoup1590093

My bench is a reuse of an 8 lane bowling alley that was torn down back in the 80's. It measures 42" x 144"x 2.25" thick. I bought the angle iron legs from a junkyard and welded 3/8" rod couplings to the bottom then screwed bolts into that for leveling the table on an uneven floor. The table is 39" high which is tall for some but perfect for me.

I installed 4 double duplex outlets around the table fed with 2 circuits, the saw has its own circuit.

I have an older craftsman saw that still cuts like a dream. The outfeed table was a kindergarten desk top that I plan on cutting the center out to accept my router. I have a bench vise on the opposite corner of the saw with a couple of bench dogs set into the table.

The table has held up quit well for its age.

!cid__0906000835a.jpg

!cid__0906000834.jpg

Bob
Soup City, Ohio

Experience is a wonderful thing, it lets you recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Veteran Advisor
rxeagle

Marlen, I built mine back on 06 from white oak , which it took a while to find here. The legs are 3 piece glue-up with through mortise. The top is a 3 layer MDF glue and screw together with 1/8 masonite on top as a sacrificial top, removable by brass screws. Top is wrapped in 2 inches white oak. The entire top is so heavy it only sits on the legs, no fastener is required

Both Vices from Lee Valley. Finish is renewable combination of BLO, turpentine and beeswax. Glue or other finishes will not permanently adhere.  Vice faces are salvaged maple.

The legs are drawn together with bench bolts (some what) like bed bolts.

Gerald Lawrence @ The Eagles Nest
Brandon,MS
Advisor
Marlen_at_WOOD

Gerald, great workbench! Any woodworker would be proud to have that in their shop.  Marlen @ WOOD

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.